In this position you will design and launch the systems that integrate autonomous driving sensors onto Zoox’s custom Robotaxi vehicle platform. Key responsibilities include design of complex electromechanical sensing assemblies, validation of sensor performance throughout system lifetime in automotive environments, technical supplier management, and supporting manufacturing and service as your systems are deployed across Zoox’s autonomous fleet.
- Designing electromechanical sensor assemblies; balancing requirements from multiple stakeholders: studio designers, sensor performance and optical engineers, vehicle/package architects, and your colleagues in other vehicle design domains.
- Designing and building visual mockups, proofs of concept, and functional A-Samples. Managing design and development activities for multiple internal and external suppliers, towards the successful delivery of one or more electromechanical systems.
- Managing test and validation of your systems. Supporting test engineering, sensor performance engineers, and supplier teams in test design, failure analysis, and quality management.
- Collaborating with manufacturing engineers and quality personnel to ramp production processes and meet build objectives.
- Maintaining BOMs, documenting and approving build processes, and supporting quality and cost engineering throughout the supply chain of your assemblies.
- Degree in Mechanical engineering or similar. 6+ years industry experience; automotive experience preferred.
- 3D CAD design experience; Catia V5/V6 preferred.
- Experience designing electronic modules in an automotive context. Experience uncovering and solving packaging, structural, thermal and reliability challenges. Experience with die cast, injection molded, and sheet metal parts.
- Knowledge of automotive sensing modalities, electromechanical behaviors, and integration challenges. Knowledge of automotive sensor cleaning challenges and solutions preferred.
- Experience building products and assemblies through their entire lifecycle, from initial concept to production ramp. Experience managing external suppliers (T1s and CMs) preferred.
- Strong communication, organization and documentation skills. Ability to drive toward decisions. Biased towards action over deliberation.
- General aptitude with machining, 3D printing, hand tools, electronics.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
Follow us on LinkedIn
A Final Note:You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.