It’s a perfect day to change the world! At Perfect Day, we’re doing just that. Perfect Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy products that everyone can love. We’re using fermentation (not animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods like ice cream, cheese and yogurt – all with the distinctive taste and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or environmental downsides. Through partnerships with respected brands, we’re working to launch a whole range of dairy products that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future generations.
We are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Senior Research Associate to complement our existing Strain Engineering team. The ideal candidate will be smart, curious, open-minded, enthusiastic, motivated, detail oriented, organized & a team player with a proactive approach to research & development. They will seek out opportunities to facilitate understanding & make significant contributions in cross-functional teams in a collegiate and collaborative environment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Optimization of fungal transformation protocols.
- Design & build plasmids for strain manipulations.
- Design & implement a combination of specific CRISPR/Cas9 & traditional transformations.
- Mutagenesis of selected strains.
- Analysis of transformants & mutants for desired phenotypes & genotypes.
- Prepare and submit samples for DNA sequencing & interpret the resulting data.
- Interpretation, statistical analysis & reporting of experimental data.
- Maintain viable stocks of improved strains & ID selected strains for long term storage.
- Use best practices at all times in your work.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy, with meticulous attention to detail throughout your work.
- Collaborate closely with Screening & Fermentation personnel.
- Maintain timely & detailed documentation of work.
- Mentor & train other team members as required.
- Track relevant IP & technological developments in the scientific literature.
- BS or higher degree in Fungal Molecular Genetics, Biotechnology, Microbial Genetics or a related discipline, with 7+ years of relevant experience (preferably industrial).
- Experience with plasmid design (including genetic engineering software) & construction.
- Experience with CRISPR/Cas9 & more traditional transformation techniques in fungi.
- Experience with PCR, including qPCR.
- Experience with DNA & protein electrophoresis.
- Experience with enzyme assays (ELISA etc.)
- Experience with genomic sequence analysis & interpretation.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to adapt and excel in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to trouble shoot (or prevent) problematic situations/experimental events.
- Strain screening experience.
- Experience in bioinformatics, genomics & transcriptomics.
- Experience with automation, database input, query, and extraction.
- Detailed knowledge of microbial physiology/biochemistry.
- Metabolomics experience.
- WGBS experience.
- The candidate will be located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and will require a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and light intensities.