One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future, through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
We are looking for Data Scientist specializing in Flood inundation
modeling to join our team at One Concern. This role will work on development and improvement of models in real-time flood forecasting and computational fluid dynamics modeling.
We work in a highly collaborative, challenging and exciting environment. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable stepping in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can scale to all disasters and geographies. If you are problem solver, think out-of-the-box, love challenging yourself, and want to work for a cause, we would love to have you at One Concern.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
What you will do:
- Research and improve flood inundation models (1d, 1d-2d coupled and 2d hydrodynamic models) and seek for scientific and technological improvements
- Evaluate model predictions and quantify uncertainties between observed and predicted outcomes using statistical and GIS tools
- Collect, analyze and efficiently manage a wide variety of structured and unstructured data (such as river gauge, damage and loss data) used in the development and validation of catastrophe models
- Provide support on ad-hoc analysis and reports
- PhD (preferred) or Master’s degree in an engineering or science related field, including Civil and Environmental Engineering, Data Science, and Statistics.
- 2+ years of experience in the area of flood inundation modeling and flood forecasting/simulation
- 1+ year experience in quantitative analytics and/or statistics
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to develop innovative products for our customers
Good to have:
- Experience linking measurement data with process-based models (e.g. via data assimilation, calibration, optimization and/or performance testing) with a strong publication record is a big plus;
- Advanced experience with scientific computing in an interpreted language (e.g. Python, Fortran etc. and parallel programming in GPU) is a plus
- Understanding of MySQL, Postgres, relational databases etc.
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours