One Concern is a startup which specializes in Artificial Intelligence for Natural Disasters. With our team of global disaster scientists and engineers, we have developed a platform that helps emergency responders prepare for and make the most critical decisions during the first moments of a crisis, with the main goal of saving lives.
We are looking for an Earthquake/Structural Engineering expert also experienced in machine learning to join our team at One Concern. This role will work on development and improvement of machine learning models designed for our earthquake module. You will be identifying new useful data sources, envisioning creative applications of machine learning and building models to improve damage prediction due to earthquakes on structures.
We work in a highly collaborative, challenging and exciting environment. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable stepping in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can scale to all disasters and geographies. If you are problem solver, think out-of-the-box, love challenging yourself, and want to work for a cause, we would love to have you at One Concern.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
What you will do
- Review and evaluate fragility models for buildings and lifeline system components.
- Develop damage prediction/fragility models for buildings and lifeline system components if needed
- Review and interpretation of historical earthquake damage data, and perform a model improvement based on ground truth
- Analyze/predict building inventory using key attributes such as occupancy, construction type, and the number of stories
- Verification, validation, and calibration of the damage prediction models
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree in structural engineering, civil engineering, or related field with emphasis on earthquake engineering
- Practical experience in structural design, engineering consulting or risk engineering
- Strong understanding of the FEMA P-58 procedure and building fragility model developments
- Understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of fragility models
- Excellent knowledge of the seismic design code details
- Strong knowledge of probability theory and statistics with a strong analytical mindset
- Proficiency in FEA (finite element analyses) tools, e.g., Opensees, Abaqus
- Programming skills to develop and support model update, e.g., Python, R
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
Good to have:
- Experience in earthquake reconnaissance
- Experience in international design/consulting projects
- Understanding of probabilistic seismic hazard analyses (PSHA), ground motion prediction equations (GMPEs), site response simulation, and site amplification
- Experience in catastrophe risk modeling
- Experience in machine learning and quantitative analytics
- Strong publication record
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily catered lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours