One Concern brings disaster science together with machine learning for better decision-making. We quantify resilience from catastrophic perils, empowering leaders to measure, mitigate, and transfer risk so disasters aren’t so disastrous.At One Concern, we believe an informed world is an inherently fairer one. Because incomplete information leads to false assumptions and poor decisions. That’s how cities are built in the wrong places, businesses are left inoperable after the shocks of natural hazards, and vulnerable people in communities are left paying the price. We believe we can change this. We believe that by pioneering cutting-edge science, we can make disasters less disastrous. And ultimately, realize planetary-scale resilience. To achieve this vision, One Concern is building a highly complex system to predict natural disasters and data is a core input to its algorithms. One Concern is seeking a creative and experienced Senior Data Engineer to lead global data handling efforts. You will report directly to the Director of Engineering, communicate and foster key relationships with various data providers and partners, and interact closely with colleagues and stakeholders from technical teams to build processes, pipelines, and methods to collect necessary data sets required for all models built by One Concern. In the role, you will maintain the ground truth of all data collected, stored and processed and be the key point of contact for all employees (data scientists, engineers, client-facing members, executives, etc) with any questions about data types, availability, and access.
- 3-5 years of Data Engineering experience in a mid-size to large enterprise company
- 1-3 years of experience building secure, highly available, data pipelines from scratch
- 1-3 years of experience working with GIS datasets
- Project management experience
- Data architecture experience
- Experience in SQL or similar languages and development experience in at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, etc.)
- Problem-solving aptitude
- BS/BA or equivalent level degree holder in Computer Science or related field
- Strong attention to detail
- Communication and leadership experience, with experience initiating and driving projects.
- Mission driven
- Build cross-functional relationships with Data Scientists, Product Managers and Software Engineers to understand data needs and deliver on those needs.
- Manages the active Master Data List (MDL), our ground truth for data description, locations and access instructions
- Project manages the data collection efforts and status and reflects changes on the MDL for the broader team.
- Manage data warehouse plans across a product vertical and drive the design, building, and launching of new data models and data pipelines in production.
- Manage development of data resources and support new product launches.
- Drive data quality across the product vertical and related business areas.
- Point person for any technical questions regarding data access, availability, and types. Should be able to walk data scientists or engineers through the steps to access any of the data within the MDL and answer non-technical questions about availability by business members
- Manage key data partnerships and vendor relationships including compliance, security, and automated pipelines for ingestion
- Manage Data compliance and privacy working closely with One Concern’s devops and security teams
- M.S. or PhD in Computer Science or related field
- Knowledge and/or experience in geographic information system (GIS), Remote Sensing, or IoT technologies
- Knowledge and/or experience in Machine Learning, or Artificial Intelligence
- Experience in disaster management
Perks and Benefits
- Market Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Generous PTO Policy
- Flexible Working Hours
Buildings & Cities
Will sponsor Visa