About Pivot Bio
Fueled by an innovative drive and a deep understanding of the soil microbiome, Pivot Bio is pioneering game-changing advances in agriculture. Our first commercial product harnesses the power of naturally-occurring microbes to provide nutrients to crops. We are dedicated to providing new sustainable ways for farmers to improve yield as they work to help feed the world’s growing population. Read more about Pivot Bio in Grist or Wired.
The Pivot Bio field technology team quantifies the sustainability impact of its products through advanced measurement and analytics. Pivot Bio is collecting extensive datasets from our research trials and customers at a national level that span multiple spatial and temporal scales. Soil, weather, and agronomic practices confound simple analytic approaches. The ideal candidate will lead Pivot Bio’s geospatial data analysis effort, creating impact spanning from research to the success of our customers.
Location: Berkeley, CA preferred. Remote OK.
- Design and analyze large-scale on-farm experiments to quantify our products’ influence on plant nitrogen, yield, and nitrogen sustainability by fusing remote sensing data with on-the-ground measurement.
- Develop relationships with key academic and industry research partners.
- Work with Pivot’s data engineering team to translate models into internal tools.
- Communicate the impact of our work to internal and external stakeholders.
Required Skills and Expertise:
- Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline plus 2+ years experience in industry or M.S. and equivalent practical experience, particularly in soil, hydrological, agricultural, plant, remote sensing, or meteorological data.
- Experience working with complex structured spatial and time-series data, from exploratory analysis to hierarchical or ML modeling. Knowledge of Bayesian methods is a plus.
- Experience using Python and developing statistical models in a shared on-cloud database. Knowledge of R is a plus.
- Expertise writing code for data analysis with Python, GIS libraries such as GDAL, GeoPandas, Shapely, ENVI, Fiona, PyProj.
*Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What we offer:
- Work that makes an impact on food sustainability and climate change
- Competitive package in an early-stage, disruptive startup
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible vacation policy
- Exciting opportunity to work with a talented and fun team