At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
The Director of Farm Operations will lead operations for the South San Francisco Plenty farm with functional responsibility encompassing farm operations, production scheduling, and maintenance. They will be responsible for setting up, running and continuously improving standard operating procedures that ensure rigor and consistency while at the same time creating and nurturing a culture of ingenuity and growth for the people who work in the farm. This action is expected to ensure that the farm operates reliably 365 days per year and produces the highest quality produce while keeping people safe.
In this role, the candidate will develop an operating cadence that includes daily interaction and "shoulder to shoulder" leadership and direction of operations. They will drive performance through cross-functional team meetings where collaboration, data analysis, and peer influence is paramount for executing actions that enable success. The leader will energize the farm with a charismatic style while operating with strategic urgency. They will articulate the performance of the farm through periodic all company meetings and set the short and long range plans for manufacturing and organizational. This key leader will embrace ambiguity and complexity while creating an inspiring vision for the team and organization. A natural ability to connect with others to build strong relationships and to communicate clearly and persuasively is also a key personal trait.
What You'll Do
- Define and continuously improve a Plenty “Operating System” based on LEAN / Six-Sigma with a regular metrics-driven cadence and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Recruit, train and grow a world-class farm operations team including ongoing development, detailed job definitions and career paths.
- Define requirements for and implement appropriate processes and supporting IT tools for effective farm operations.
- Ensure effective regulatory / EH&S compliance in each facility.
- Develop and manage deep partnerships with functions across Plenty, including R&D, Business Operations, Marketing, Sales, and EH&S.
What We're Looking For
- Scaling, and high automation: Deep experience scaling and operating a manufacturing facility that leverages a high degree of automation.
- Relentless excellence and improvement: Reputation for creating and nurturing a culture of continuous improvement that values and provides ongoing growth opportunities for people at all levels in the organization.
- Influence for outcomes: Exceptional influencing skills across functions of a company; ability to influence and lead individuals and teams including and outside of one’s direct reports.
- Build people, grow people, stretch people: People-first hands-on leader who practices active listening and “Management by Walking Around”.
- Mission Driven: Deep passion for the mission of Plenty.
- The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the organization, not only for the areas s/he is directly responsible for, but the enterprise as a whole.
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.
Plenty is a new kind of farm for a new kind of world. Our local field-scale indoor farms are creating a healthier, more delicious and sustainable future. It's our goal to bring fresh, local produce to communities everywhere in a way that's better for the