At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? It turns out you can. So we did. We make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The primary function of this position is to supervise laboratory operations and have direct contact with the laboratory client base. This position is authorized to be responsible for all laboratory operations related to the generation and communication of microbiological testing results. The Laboratory Manager works closely with the Quality Manager and has the authority to delegate responsibility for laboratory operations to the Quality Manager when absent from the laboratory.
- Supervise laboratory operations to maintain quality and efficiency
- Oversee training of new and current laboratory personnel in laboratory procedures and protocols
- Provide guidance in the distribution of workload
- Ensure that Good Laboratory techniques are applied to the daily workload
- Maintenance of all laboratory personnel training, reviews, and goal setting/personal growth
- Placement of laboratory personnel in appropriate laboratory areas to ensure efficiency and staff success
- Information liaison for Human Resources with regard to staff changes and adjustments, including staff vacation and leave
- Review and approve laboratory expenditures, including outside lab testing, shipping, and supply orders
- Ensure that all required equipment is in place and properly functioning
- Develop programs and processes and training to achieve ISO17025 certification within 18 months
- Ensure that all quality control procedures and documentation are in compliance and up to date with ISO 17025 guidelines
- Ensure that all technical procedures are up to date and properly followed.
- Overall organization, housekeeping, maintenance, and space utilization of the laboratory
- Oversee laboratory departmental staff meetings
- Supervise non-routine projects per customer and internal request and as assigned
- Review and approval of final technical reports being published to include spreadsheets, special projects, and any research
- Review and oversee data entries
- Develop processes, procedures, and training programs for a Quality Manual, Safety Manual, and approved laboratory procedures
- Maintain a high degree of technical competence by reading scientific journals, attending professional workshops, and being aware of food industry issues and trends
- Provide guidance to the Laboratory technicians to ensure that all laboratory processes are managed with the highest quality and efficiency
- Authority to approve payroll hours, to write performance reviews, and to provide feedback to HR on staffing needs
- Adjust workflow as required
- Authorize training for laboratory personnel
- Periodically review and visually audit laboratory staff to ensure compliance with methods
- Authority to approve laboratory supply orders and invoices related to supplies, shipping, and contract services
- Authorized to order repair services for malfunctioning equipment as well as request new equipment with the proper price quotations
- Authorize retests of 3rd party samples based on quality control concerns
- Travel is required and at the discretion of management
- Directly supervises employees. Carries out all responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, standard operating procedures and best practices. Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations at all times. Responsibilities includes interviewing, hiring, training and mentoring employees; evaluate performance of assigned personnel, monitor performance action plans for employees, improve operational efficiencies. Will direct work flow; maintain harmony in the workplace and professional business demeanor at all times.
- Education: Bachelors of Science degree in Food Science or Microbiology preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered.
- Specialized Knowledge: Thorough knowledge of GMP, FDA/USDA and Food Safety, SOP’s, and SQF.
- Leadership skills, focused on results, employee engagement, decision making, team work, change management.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Strong PC skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
- The employee must have the ability to quantitatively review technical procedures and representative regulations. In addition, must be capable of writing detailed reports, and general day-to-day oversight and related correspondence.
- The ability to effectively present information to groups and respond to questions from peers, supervisors and managers is essential.
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities within the Laboratory.
- Experience: Minimum 12-15 months of technical leadership experience
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.