StreetLight Data, the pioneer in Big Data for mobility, is revolutionizing transportation and urban planning to help the world better deploy infrastructure and adapt to new forms of mobility. From legacy systems to ride sharing and bike sharing to autonomous vehicles, our platform powers 3,000+ mobility projects every month for government and private clients, and we're just getting started.
StreetLight Data is looking for a Product Designer to work from our Richmond, VA, Vancouver, BC or San Francisco office who is hardworking, inquisitive, and ready to design powerful interfaces for an innovative application that helps solve problems in the transportation planning space. This is a chance to have a large impact on the design of an application that is the first of its kind. The problems are hard, the people are smart, and the solutions are satisfying.
This role will report to our Product Manager, Principal of User Experience, and will be working primarily with StreetLight Data’s Product and Engineering teams. This role will be expected to conduct research with internal users from our Sales, Solution Engineering, Customer Success, Support, and Executive teams, in addition to conducting feature-specific user testing (as necessary) with users from our customer base in collaboration with Product Marketing.
A successful candidate will be a designer who is excited about learning complex systems, is able to distill and communicate complexity to users, and is up to the challenge of synthesizing the full array of design artifacts that show their design thinking, from research documents to user flow diagrams to final visual mockups. A background involving transportation planning, GIS, cartography, or related fields is a plus.
Applicants must submit a portfolio to be considered.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Engineers, and other partners to translate user needs and goals into elegant product designs and interfaces
- Use best practices to design for the full life cycle, from requirement refinement to full fidelity prototypes
- Partner with the Product and Product Marketing teams to identify user research needs and conduct investigative research and usability tests
- Work with the Engineering team to solve user experience problems in a way that prioritizes usability but also recognizes Engineering cost
- Partner with the PM/Principal of User Experience to create, and personally own the maintenance of, a living pattern library of components and interactions that will foster design understanding between Design, Product, and Engineering
- Practice an iterative design process that includes gathering stakeholder input and presenting work-in-progress for review at regular intervals
- Rapidly develop navigation hierarchies, user flows, wireframes, written interaction documentation, and visual mockup artifacts
- Partner with the QA team to establish practices that ensure the interaction, visual, and overall design quality of the end product
Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years experience in product, interaction, information or UX design; B2B and/or B2G experience preferred
- A degree in HCI, Graphic Design or related field, or equivalent experience required
- Experience working in a SaaS, Agile environment—experience working in fast-paced startups is a plus
- An online portfolio with at least 3 projects demonstrating both user-centered design process and interaction design experience for desktop web applications**
- Proven understanding of user-centered design skills, disciplines, and principles, as well as strong visual design skills, including typography and the ability to produce high-fidelity mock-ups
- High level of proficiency in Figma, InVision, or Sketch, with a working knowledge of Adobe CC
- Strong sense of curiosity, and an emphasis on observation, perception, and conversation as drivers of decision-making in the design process
- Strong ability to participate in working design sessions and then develop low-fidelity artifacts from those sessions into full-fledged design
- Strong understanding of responsive web application design, layouts, and grid systems; comfortable working within a defined design system
- Ability to quickly grasp and distill highly complex user design issues into clean, understandable solutions
- Strong communication, organizational skills, and adaptability
- Ability to learn quickly and work both independently and in a team
StreetLight Data provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.