As a Lead Engineering Technician on Zoox’s Base Operation team, you will be responsible for the setup and execution of tests on Zoox development vehicles. This includes planning tests, organizing and installing test equipment, updating the vehicle to desired test configuration, and executing tests according to the requestor’s test procedures.
Testing will be required on various vehicle systems, such as vehicle performance, crash testing, noise and vibration, thermal performance, strength, and durability. You will utilize your expertise in one or more of these areas to support these testing activities and work closely with the responsible attribute leads.
As a Lead Technician, you will supervise and lead a team of individuals to carry out repairs, test prep, development, and ensure vehicle uptime is at its highest potential. You will keep your team aligned with milestones and provide support in ensuring goals and objectives are met. You will develop key performance indicators for your team members and aid them in reaching their and Zoox’s mission.
- Execute vehicle level test requests with a focus on accuracy and thoroughness.
- Work with engineering to select the appropriate testing sensors and perform sensor installation.
- Work with vehicle engineering teams to perform setup and configuration of DAQ and test systems.
- Support preparing of test parts and updating of test vehicle(s) as dictated by the test requirements/requests.
- Coordinate logistic requirements for vehicles, equipment, and parts as dictated by the test requests.
- Execute tests, including collecting data as required.
- Engagement in the recruiting and hiring process for workshop personnel.
- Provides new-hire onboarding, training, and communicating expectations.
- Creates and manages employee schedules, including time-off.
- Enforces all health and safety policies in the workshop.
- Works with facilities on equipment and machinery maintenance.
- Ensures the workshop area is clean, organized, and free of dangerous and/or hazardous material.
- Assists in repairs, upgrades, maintenance and other tasks involved in fleet operations.
- Manages workflow by allocating resources based on skill sets and ensures the job is done to internal quality standards.
- Manages work orders and ensures they meet internal quality and documentation standards.
- Support wiring harness builds and the supporting documentation.
- Support the analysis, documentation, and reporting of data as necessary.
- Support root cause analysis of component and full vehicle level issues.
- Perform vehicle level inspections, maintenance, and repairs.
- Extensive knowledge of methods, techniques, parts, tools, and materials used in the maintenance and repair of vehicles.
- Experience working with test equipment in one or more areas like NVH, vehicle dynamics, thermal, strength, and durability.
- Extensive knowledge of CAN/LIN, wiring diagrams, wiring repair, and soldering is highly preferred.
- 5+ years of technician experience
- 2+ years of leadership experience
- Ability to travel locally and nationally (50%, or more, of the time).
- Clean driving record
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects/deliverables.
- Team player that collaborates well cross-functionally.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Must be honest, responsible and an outstanding communicator.
- Experience in an automotive-focused engineering or research lab (i.e. Dyno, Battery, etc.).
- Experience with vehicle alignments and required adjustments.
- Experience with ADAS, and/or autonomous platforms.
- General understanding of electric vehicle architecture.
- Technical trade school certificate or Associate Degree in automotive repair.
ABOUT ZOOXZoox is a robotics company developing fully-autonomous vehicles and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine-learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We believe the transition to self-driving vehicles requires a combination of elegant vision and uncompromising execution. Follow us on LinkedIn
A Final Note:You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.