The Span engineering team is made of passionate people with expertise in electronics, mechanical design, energy systems, and embedded software. We are seeking an experienced and driven electrical engineer to own critical electronic and electrical components of the Span panel through all stages of development. As the senior design engineer, you will be responsible for building reliable, cost-effective energy management hardware for the Span panel that will ship to market.
In this role, you will:
- Own complex PCB/assembly designs.
- Design or specify magnetic components and wire harness assemblies.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams on specification of mechanical interfaces, thermal interfaces, and overall product function.\
- Choose technologies and rapidly/efficiently validate bench-level prototypes.
- Develop and validate highly robust repeatable power and analog circuit topologies.
- Design power, mixed signal, and digital circuits and circuit components
- Develop, simulate, and perform tests related to functional performance, regulatory compliance, and reliability with limited resources
- Place and route PCB layouts to comply with creepage and clearance rules, high voltage safety concerns, high speed signal integrity requirements, low noise analog design best practices, EMC/EMI regulations, and thermal and mechanical design requirements.
- Produce completed design packages for PCBAs including well-curated BOM, clear schematic capture, annotation, and mechanical assembly/drill/conformal coat drawings.
- Document design requirements and work with external contractors for layout and other support activities when necessary.
- Work with contract manufacturers to incorporate DFM feedback into design process, creating high yield cost effective designs.
As we are a startup, this list should be considered neither exhaustive nor complete. We are excited for people to explore responsibilities outside their normal areas of expertise, if the need or interest arises.
We are seeking a seasoned electrical engineer who has:
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering/Computer Science.
- Hands-on approach whether it be building a prototype or performing testing.
- Experience owning designs, specifying system interfaces, and architecture with diverse teams under tight timelines.
- Proficiency in analog and mixed signal circuit design.
- Familiarity with power electronics.
- Strong grasp on fundamentals covering circuit analysis, electromagnetics, as well as basic feedback and control theory.
- Experience validating design concepts with simple bench tests.
- Ability to think creatively to produce novel, cost-effective circuits that solve unique design problems.
- Experience working closely with contract manufacturers and suppliers.
- Broad knowledge of component types, including availability and supply chain concerns.
We would love to hire someone who has:
- 5 years experience developing products from initial concepts to mass production.
- Supported both prototype and high volume production.
- Designed switch mode power supplies involving high (>60V) voltage, high current, high power, or high efficiency
- Designed magnetic devices such as transformers or inductors.
- Designed electromechanical devices such as solenoid actuators or relays.
- Knowledge of national and international safety and regulatory requirements such as UL, National Electric Code(NEC), FCC, IEC, and ISO.
- Design experience with products that connect to the electrical grid.
- Experience meeting IEC 61000-4-x requirements in design, especially ESD, surge, and EFT.
- Designed high voltage isolated power and data interfaces.
- Experience with development of performance validation, environmental, and reliability tests.
- Knowledge of design for test requirements in support of both flying probe or ICT, and functional tests.
- Designed functional tests for PCBAs at manufacturing end of line.
- Deployed or supported functional test in a large scale manufacturing environment.
- Analyzed field failures, and responded with design or manufacturing process changes.
- Demonstrated success working in a cross disciplinary, multi-cultural environment.
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Impacting the future as a small, agile team means putting in a lot of hard work and elbow grease so we work to make sure you are happy, healthy, and you look forward to coming to work.
Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Sunny, airy office located close to BART and Caltrain
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities and events
- Opportunity to influence our culture
Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.