We are currently seeking a people-oriented Director, Automation & Robotics to join our interdisciplinary Research & Development (R&D) team comprised of engineers, researchers and plant growth operations personnel. As a dedicated project lead, this position will help manage the execution of key projects related to increasing the automation and acceleration of the Company’s R&D activities. The ideal candidate will bring exceptional technical expertise in both robotics and automation systems, as well as team leadership and project management skills.
Terramera will provide relocation assistance & work permit sponsorship to the successful candidate. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and other relevant qualifications.
To significantly increase the automation and acceleration of the Company’s R&D activities by effectively managing specific engineering projects that support the buildout of Terramera’s envisioned hardware capabilities.
- Collaborate with the R&D Management team, engineers, researchers and plant growth operations personnel to help set and drive the Company’s envisioned hardware capabilities and operational plans
- Manage the buildout of the Company’s envisioned hardware capabilities in order to significantly increase the automation and acceleration of R&D activities
- Provide senior-level program / project management leadership and oversight, ensuring projects are successfully executed within scope, on schedule and on budget while ensuring regulatory compliance and operational efficiency
- Apply strong communication and project management tools and techniques as per Company’s operating system
- Effectively document and prioritize issues identified by project members
- Leverage interpersonal strengths and technical engineering background to effectively build interdisciplinary teams and communicate with team members of all levels to ensure there is consistent, open and active communication both within and outside R&D
- Help build functional bench strength within R&D to meet the needs of the business
- Master's degree or PhD in Robotics, Mechatronics, Electrical / Systems Engineering or relevant field
- 8+ years of relevant engineering experience in robotics and automation
- 5+ years leading and managing teams on complex projects
- Experience in robotics/industrial robotics design, development, installation and operations management
- Experience creating technical specifications for automation systems
- Experience deploying automation technology, especially for robotics
- Demonstrated technical skills and experience in PLC, programming, control systems, and mechatronics
- Solid understanding of project management, engineering, lean principles, six sigma, product development / launch and financial acumen
- PMP and P.Eng Certification
- Experience with agricultural robots (AgBots)
QUALITIES WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Exceptional coach and team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven leadership ability and team building skills with an ability to manage multiple project teams, deadlines and priorities in a fast growth, changing and evolving work environment
- Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative
- Solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or constructive feedback
- Applies both abstract and concrete reasoning to strategic and tactical situations
- Prioritizes and plans work activities effectively
- Reaches out to team members to establish and overall collaborative working relationship
- Open to others’ ideas, letting others speak and seeking to understand their viewpoints
- Exhibits passion and excitement over work and always has a can-do attitude
- Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way
- Solves problems using lateral and logical thinking ability
- Strategic thinker, who can lead initiatives through successful implementation
- Adaptable and comfortable working under pressure with time and resource constraints
WHO WE ARE
Terramera is a cleantech leader focused on fusing AI, science and nature to create revolutionary technologies that transform how we grow food and solve other world-scale challenges. With its Actigate™ Targeted Performance technology and mission to unlock the intelligence in nature to ensure a world that thrives and provides for everyone, Terramera is committed to reducing global synthetic chemical loads in agriculture by 80 percent while increasing global farm productivity by 20 percent by 2030. The privately held company was founded in 2010 and has grown to include a world-class bench of engineers, scientists, advisors and investors. Terramera is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, has integrated operations that include a research lab, greenhouse and farm, and has more than 185 patents in its IP portfolio.
Our success begins with our people. We’re looking for A-Players who are passionate about making a difference as we are and thrive in environments that are dynamic, challenging and rewarding. Join our movement, as we set a new standard and change the world together as a highly dedicated, innovative, future-focused and solutions-oriented team.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For more information on Terramera, please visit our website at www.terramera.com
Terramera is committed to a diverse workforce and we are an equal opportunity employer.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.