Impossible Foods is addressing the most catastrophic threats facing humanity: climate change and biodiversity collapse. A global transition to a plant-based food system will turn back the clock on atmospheric C02 levels, restore natural ecosystems and reverse meltdown in wildlife biomass.The easiest -- if not only -- way to make our civilization sustainable is to eliminate livestock, the most dangerous technology on Earth. But humans won’t give up meat. So we need to make meat better -- more delicious and more nutritious, without animals as the underlying production technology. That means that making meat sustainably is the most important and urgent problem for the global scientific community.Impossible Foods' mission is to completely replace the use of animals as a food-production technology by offering consumers everything they currently value about animal products -- and making products that are vastly superior to their animal analogues.To do this, we are taking a revolutionary scientific and market-based approach. We are inventing efficient, sustainable ways to transform ingredients from plants into meat, fish and dairy foods that deliver all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the destructive environmental or public health impact.Our world-class R&D team has been building the know-how and technology platform to produce meat, fish and dairy foods from plants. Impossible Foods is experiencing rapid growth and is resolutely committed to leading all aspects of the plant-based food revolution—from discovery to commercial production. The only thing that will separate Impossible Foods from success and failure is our ability to recruit more world-class experts. Want to join? Check out the job openings and requirements below:This role sits within the R&D Downstream Isolation team. You will work within our spray drying group to develop new formulations for spray dried protein ingredients. These formulations will enable more robust, lower cost drying conditions, extended shelf life, reduced packaging requirements and improved powder physical properties. You are a technically savvy motivated scientist who enjoys hands-on experimentation and is ready to make a big impact. You will work closely with our Engineering department to ensure formulations are scalable. You will collaborate with Product Quality to ensure powders meet quality and regulatory specifications. We are looking for someone with enthusiasm for science and a passion for making products to change the world.
- Perform bench-scale research experiments to identify key drivers that influence powder quality.
- Screen additives and treatments to improve target powder qualities such as solubility, thermosensitivity, flowability and shelf life.
- Operate a bench-scale spray dryer to generate powder as well as analytical equipment to measure powder properties such as particle size, water activity, color, bulk density and flowability.
- Proactively identify new technologies and developments in formulation and microencapsulation.
- Support tech transfer of new formulations to pilot and manufacturing scale.
- Document experiments and results in laboratory notebooks. Author reports and routinely present findings to the larger team.
- Generate data packages to support regulatory filings.
- Demonstrate strong teamwork and communication skills and a motivation to investigate and solve problems.
- Maintain a clean, sanitary, organized and safe work environment.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics
- PhD in biochemistry, chemistry or related fields or BS in chemical engineering.
- 5-7+ years of industrial or academic experience post PhD or 9-12+ years post BS.
- Highly experienced in spray drying technology, microencapsulation of proteins/other molecules and developing formulations to achieve target properties. Scale-up experience with formulations a plus.
- Deep knowledge of analytical tools like microscopy and particle size analyzer for characterization of powders/microencapsulated products’s physical properties.
- A track record of juggling multiple projects and delivering on deadlines.
- Hard working and self-motivated with excellent quantitative skills, good organization and record-keeping skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Occasional travel may be required.
Will sponsor Visa
Food & Agriculture
Climate Impact Statement
Impossible Foods was founded in 2011 to create a truly sustainable global food system by inventing an efficient, sustainable way to transform plants into irresistibly delicious, nutritious food -- food that delivers all the pleasures and nutritional benef