About ImperfectImperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to reduce food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality meat and dairy. We deliver them conveniently to our customers’ doorsteps and pride ourselves on offering up to a 30% discount compared to grocery store prices. Our customers can get the healthy, seasonal produce they want alongside the grocery staples they rely on, without having to compromise their budget or values. We’re proving that doing the right thing for the planet doesn’t have to cost more, and that shopping for quality ingredients can support the people and resources that it takes to grow our favorite foods. We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations all over the country. Check our website to see if there is an Imperfect near you!We're looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!How we are protecting employees from COVID-19At Imperfect Foods, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. We provide gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer to all essential employees who must report to work. Before entering our warehouse, employees have their temperatures checked. In addition, we take great care to ensure frequently touched surfaces are sanitized throughout the day and all warehouses are fully sanitized weekly.We have also implemented an Emergency Sick Leave policy providing full-time and part-time employees 2 additional weeks of paid time off and up to 26 weeks paid leave if they have a confirmed case of COVID-19.About the Role:
The Produce Buyer is a dedicated, enthusiastic, and highly motivated individual on the Supply Team. This is a senior position requiring industry knowledge and expertise. This position is under the supervision of the Purchasing Manager.
- Frequently exceeds quarterly metrics based on product quality, margin, on time deliveries, and product cost.
- Pro-actively tracking metrics weekly on the WIG sheet and coming up with solutions to mitigate issues.
- Goes beyond maintaining vendors and begins to prioritize supply based on demand and filling any gaps.
- Reviews expectations with problematic vendors when they start to underperform.
- Verifies that all vendors are “Active” and pursues any that are not quoting in season.
- Consistently reaches out to merchandisers to collaborate effectively informed buying decisions.
- Knows price points needed for their commodities.
- Regularly negotiates better prices based on Imperfect’s specific needs and budget.
- Coordinate meetings with vendors to discuss detailed spec sheets, harvesting product specifically for Imperfect, and reviewing progress.
- Facilitate onboarding of new vendors given by the Purchasing Manager to verify smooth integration into our systems and processes, ensuring that they meet all our requirements.
- Notify the Purchasing Manager and Director of Sourcing of any gaps in sourcing due to insufficient vendors or volume for a specific commodity (organic or conventional).
- Makes recommendations to Merchandising and Brand to implement promo/ad internal programs, ensuring success from beginning to end.
- Assist finance with resolving PO and invoice discrepancies.
- Coordinate with receivers to verify arrivals.
- Submit weekly and monthly reports of each commodity type by vendors by volume and average price breakdown.
- Continuous professional development and personal improvement by seeking out platforms to learn new skill sets or attending Imperfect’s lectures and “University” opportunities.
Skills and Qualifications
- 3-5+ years experience purchasing produce
- Extensive knowledge in the fresh produce industry (for both organic and conventional product), including PACA guidelines, temperature guidelines, and USDA inspections.
- Proven industry specific vendor relationships and firm negotiation skills.
- Experience in quickly solving issues and working in a fast paced environment
- Proficient with Excel, Word, Google Sheets/Docs and ERP systems
- Analytical skills to summarize large data setsExcellent interpersonal skills and a great attitude
- Bachelor’s degree in business, agriculture or related field.
- Proactive mindset to get ahead of problems
- Has the motivation and willingness to take on more responsibilities and be held accountable
- Creative problem solver, with fast solutions for day to day problems
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlinesWorks well in a highly active team in a collaborative environment.
- You’re passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all
Details of Position
- Full-time exempt position reporting to the Purchasing Manager, based out of our San Francisco
- Candidate can be located in Los Angeles or Bay Area
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring credit towards your Imperfect account!
- Evenings, weekends and holiday work required on an “as needed” basis.
- Sedentary work; predominantly involves sitting most of the time
- Walking, climbing stairs, and standing are required only occasionally
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses and screens
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets also required
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Foods are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
U.S. E-Verify Notice: Imperfect Foods participates in E-Verify in the United States. Imperfect will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.