Does working for a fast paced, growing company that is making a difference in our environment excite you? Do you have a passion for making our environment better for this generation and the ones that follow? If you’re excited about career growth, group volunteering, and the occasional ping pong after hours, then this is the job for you. Let’s make a difference together. Join our team!
The Lead Power Engineer is responsible for managing PV and ESS projects through the utility interconnection process as well as providing technical expertise in the interconnection of distributed energy resources (DERs). This role requires an electrical engineer with experience managing DER projects through multiple distribution utility and RTO interconnection processes. The Lead Power Engineer will support the Manager, Power Engineering and will assist in training and developing junior engineers.
- This position reports to Manager, Power Engineering and will work closely with Power Engineering, Design Engineering, and Business Development teams to achieve interconnection of distributed energy resources (DERs)
- Review and analyze utility pre-screen reports, System Impact Studies, and Interconnection Service Agreements, and manage a portfolio of utility interconnection applications from initial submission through closeout
- Lead biweekly utility status calls, maintain utility relationships, and manage utility performance to tariff deadlines
- Lead technical utility negotiations and drive implementation of non-wires alternatives, selective curtailment, and other grid-edge technologies
- Interface daily with internal business development and engineering teams to coordinate project workflow
- Develop and manage relationships with a network of vendors and engineering consultants for the entire life cycle of a project including development, permitting, construction, and asset management phases
- Review shop drawings and designs for switchgear, transformers, reclosers and other major electrical equipment
- Provide technical support to Nexamp development, EPC, and O&M departments for the entire life cycle of a project including development, permitting, construction, and asset management phases.
- Design single line diagrams and three-line diagrams for Interconnection Applications, electrical permits, and construction documents
- Support Manager, Power Engineering in reviewing single line diagrams, three-line diagrams, and site layout designs created by junior engineers, and support training of power engineering department personnel
- Support Manager, Power Engineering in leading training and mentoring of junior engineering department personnel, development of design standards and procedures, new product research and implementation, and project design reviews for engineering department
- Perform site visits for project assessment and feasibility
The ideal candidate must be enthusiastic, self-motivated, hands-on, results-oriented, and a team player.
Key qualifications as follows:
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering required
- 5+ years of electrical engineering experience required
- 2+ years of experience in DER interconnection required
- EIT certification required
- AutoCAD software proficiency
- Strong knowledge of industry standard design codes such as National Electric Code, International Building Code, International Fire Code and other industry standards
- Strong knowledge of electrical principles, including medium voltage distribution, protection system coordination and relaying principles
- PSSE, Aspen, PSCAD, ETAP or AmpCalc modeling experience preferred
- Willingness to travel up to 10% for site visits and utility meetings
- Valid Driver’s License or ability to obtain same
PERKS & COMPENSATION
Not only will you get to work with a group of innovative, dedicated, and motivated peers, you will also have access to all the benefits that Nexamp Offers. This includes: our competitive compensation package; a 401 (k) employer-match; health, dental, & vision insurance with company contribution; Open Paid Time Off and Company Holidays; Commuter Benefits and Cell Phone Reimbursement; as well as a Fun, Collaborative, Downtown Office Environment! We provide healthy snacks, coffee, in-office yoga sessions, volunteer opportunities, company outings, and more!
NEXAMP VALUES AND MISSION
Building the future of energy so it is clean, simple and accessible
Nexamp is building the energy infrastructure of tomorrow and reinventing the way people interact with the electricity that powers their lives. By deploying a distributed network of locally sourced clean energy, we seek to reduce the negative effects of climate change. Our team’s diverse experience drives innovation from the ground up and with a singular passion: to deliver an accessible and sustainable energy future for all.
Nexamp is leading the transformation to the new energy economy with proven solutions for solar energy development, ownership, and operation.