Fueled by an innovative drive and a deep understanding of the soil microbiome, Pivot Bio is pioneering game-changing advances in agriculture. Our first commercial product harnesses the power of naturally-occurring microbes to provide nutrients to crops. We are dedicated to providing new sustainable ways for farmers to improve yield as they work to help feed the world’s growing population. Read more about Pivot Bio in Grist or Wired.
Position: Microbial Formulation Intern (Location: Hayward, CA)
This internship position will be responsible for supporting the development of seed treatment formulations intended to deliver microbial actives that improve nitrogen use efficiency in corn. We are looking for a self-motivated and passionate researcher with some industry experience. As we are a start-up in Silicon Valley, it is expected the candidate is adaptable to changing research objectives and can work at a fast pace and operate in an independent fashion with minimal oversight. The candidate will periodically be required to travel between the Hayward and Berkeley labs and must be able to do so in a timely manner when the need arises.
- Work in a laboratory setting and generate microbial formulations that can provide adequate shelf life for our biological active ingredient and be suitable as a commercial scale see treatment for corn.
- Evaluate high volumes of samples in a quick turnaround manner, producing replicable results that are statistically relevant.
- Analyze samples for water activity, viscosity, sedimentation, and flowability
- Plate and count microbes using aseptic technique
- Attend R&D meetings
- Complete reports, collect and statistically analyze data with supervision, and follow SOPs
- As needed, be able to travel between the Hayward and Berkeley Pivot Bio lab sites in a timely fashion when the need arises
- A completed BS degree in the life sciences or equivalent field
- At least one year experience in a fast-paced industry lab environment
- Able to work 5, 8-hour days a week
- Familiarity with aseptic technique and background in working with microbes (or able to learn)
- Able to travel between Hayward and Berkeley Pivot bio lab site in a timely fashion as needed
- Able to perform physically repetitive tasks like pipetting
- An understanding of research/development, and the principles behind experiment design and execution (i.e., importance of controls, answering research questions, and testing hypotheses)
- Great communication - ability to understand the needs of others and clearly explain ideas
- Strong ability to work independently and ask good questions
What we offer:
- Exciting opportunity to work with a talented and fun team