At Span, we are building products to enable the rapid adoption of renewable energy and our team is growing quickly to drive this mission. As the first recruiter at Span, you will source, manage, and hire a talented and diverse pipeline of candidates for all teams with a focus on Engineering. You are a champion of Span’s values and are able to incorporate them in strategy and implementation to help achieve the hiring needs of the company. You are able to get up-to-speed quickly on the technical details of our product and can clearly explain the specifics of various roles to candidates. Relationship building is a key part of this job as you’d partner closely with the hiring managers across our teams to build a best in class candidate experience.
In this role, you will:
- Work closely with team leads and executive staff to assess Span’s business needs and develop a hiring plan to support them
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of candidates for all departments across Span consisting of both active inbounds and creatively-sourced passive candidates
- Guide candidates smoothly through the Span interview process with timely updates
- Develop and implement Span’s strategy to source diverse candidates from talent pools both in the energy industry and across disciplines
- Act as Span’s subject matter expert for developing cohesive interview plans and best practices for interviewing
- Represent Span at recruiting and networking events to expand our presence in different talent communities
As we are a startup, this list should be considered neither exhaustive nor complete. We are excited for people to explore responsibilities outside their normal areas of expertise if the need or interest arises.
- Negotiate a Master Services Agreement with a high-quality California solar installer
- Engage partners and their sales teams to support demand and purchase order volume
- Run the first meeting with a partner’s solar sales team, completely owning the content, organization, and outcomes of the meeting
- Attend a trade show with our Span Tiny Home mobile demonstration unit, meeting installers and customers, answering questions, and determining if Span is right for them
- 3 - 5 years experience with at least 2 years recruiting for technical roles in software or hardware engineering
- Experience implementing successful creative sourcing strategies to engage both active and passive candidates
- Ability to build trust with candidates of all levels and propensity for understanding the factors and motivations driving their career decisions
- Aptitude for assessing the initial fit of a candidate to a role and selling them on the opportunity
- Experience recruiting for a start-up; excited to own processes end-to-end and strong ability to manage internal teams' limited time effectively
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Strong understanding and experience using application tracking systems
- Experience recruiting and hiring in the energy industry
- Experience recruiting for executive roles
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Impacting the future as a small, agile team means putting in a lot of hard work and elbow grease so we work to make sure you are happy, healthy, and you look forward to coming to work. Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation at a well-funded venture-backed company
- Comprehensive benefits including a choice of medical plans: dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- A sunny, airy office located close to BART and Caltrain
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities, board games nights, and other opportunities to connect with our awesome team - in-person and now virtually
- Generous equity grants at a quickly-growing startup
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- To be a part of a team and culture that is hard-working, has a good sense of humor, works collaboratively, and is just a little nerdy
Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.