StreetLight Data, the pioneer in Big Data for mobility, is revolutionizing transportation and urban planning to help the world better deploy infrastructure and adapt to new forms of mobility. From legacy systems to ride sharing and bike sharing to autonomous vehicles, our platform powers 6,000+ mobility projects every month for government and private clients, and we're just getting started.
StreetLight Data is seeking a VP, Product to lead the product management of Streetlight Insight®, our end-user application, Streetlight Route Science®, our big data platform, and guide future product direction and documentation. Reporting to our COO, you will lead the Product Team (product management, UX, and documentation), as well as collaborate across the company to research and refine product strategy, oversee the Product Roadmap, and ensure well-researched, data-informed execution across product releases. You will drive product adoption and customer retention by fostering a deep understanding of customer challenges, needs, and use cases throughout the organization and commitment to an ever-improving user experience. As a member of the Executive Team, you will collaborate with your peers to drive growth, research and evaluate new product opportunities, and successfully bring new products to market.
This position requires strong B2B / B2G product management experience in software and data products, including knowledge of the technology, processes and challenges of SaaS, big data and analytics. A background in transportation planning and geo-spatial data or related fields is a strong plus. The successful candidate will be based in San Francisco, CA.
- Know the Business, the Customer, and the Product. Develop and maintain a deep understanding of:
- Transportation, urban and infrastructure planning and operations through self-learning, support of our internal industry experts, and proactive interaction with our sales team, prospects, and customers
- StreetLight’s business objectives, market segments, sales processes and cycles, and customers and internal organizational structure
- StreetLight Insight® web application and Route Science® data platform including the underlying technologies, data sources, transportation metrics, validation processes and available visualizations and their applications to customer use cases
- StreetLight’s product development and release processes
- Successfully Scale the Business, the Customer Base and Support the Organization through the following:
- Collaborate with the CEO and other executives to create the strategic business plan for the company, including high level product strategy
- Successfully develop product strategies and roadmaps that meet end customer needs and drive business growth
- Define product roadmaps, pricing, packaging, release plans, and schedules for the development of new and improvement of existing metrics in collaboration with Engineering and the product managers
- Inspire the organization, effectively communicate, and ensure our distributed internal teams are educated as appropriate to their need to know
- Ensure proactive gathering and synthesis of information from internal and external sources about market trends, competitive offerings, prospect and customer unmet needs and requirements as inputs to product planning
- Advocate for process improvements to the whole product lifecycle that drive enhanced customer retention, new customer acquisition and business performance across the organization including a strong focus on setting goals, quantifying and assessing ongoing improvements in user engagement, user experience and company efficiency
- Improve and expand the current team of three Product Managers as needed through management excellence across hiring, onboarding, professional development and mentorship of new and existing team members
- Travel from time to time to meet with prospects, customers, attend trade shows or visit other StreetLight Data offices as needed
Skills & Qualifications:
- BS or equivalent in Engineering, Computer Science, or Civil Engineering with a concentration in transportation fields (or adjacent fields). MBA or equivalent preferred
- 5+ years leading a Product organization and 12+ years of direct product management experience in a commercial software company including a focus on big data, mobility, or navigation products and/or services that utilize machine learning in a quantitative field; experience in early stage, B2B / B2G companies and SaaS product environments strongly preferred
- Proven track record of effectively gathering and transforming complex market and customer data into insights to produce prioritized product roadmaps and pricing and packaging strategies to serve customers across vertical segments
- Demonstrated experience leading a collaborative process for Product with key stakeholders across Engineering, QA, Support, Success, and Solutions Engineering to define and deliver products, manage release schedules and support Marketing and Sales in go-to-market education, training, and launch processes; experience in Agile Development methodologies a strong plus
- Naturally structured thinker and communicator with strong understanding of business models and sound technical judgment, comfortable with statistics and numerically facile
- Superior verbal, written and visual communication skills
- Proven ability to lead a Product function in a manner that inspires confidence across a company, establish strong relationships with stakeholders for rapid problem-solving, and provide the mentorship and direction necessary to develop a best-in-class product management team
- Experience using and learning a wide-range of tools and technologies including JIRA, Confluence, Excel expertise and other Microsoft Office applications, Asana or other project management tools; GIS systems a strong plus
- Self-starter that thrives in a fast-paced environment and enjoys problem-solving and challenging yourself and others to achieve
- Extremely well-organized, logical thinker that can create / adapt frameworks for analyses and break large, long-running projects down into manageable tasks with achievable goals and schedules
- Committed to capturing and using data to measure performance and inform decision-making whenever possible, practical and valuable
- Technologically curious, never afraid to try a new tool or explore a new system in pursuit of increased knowledge, higher productivity or improved work products
- Open, honest, direct and respectful communicator, a collaborative team player that knows how to work with others to get things done in a positive manner
- Passionate about making the world a better place for people to live, work, and travel
StreetLight Data provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.