The Span engineering team is made of experienced, passionate people with expertise in electronics, mechanical design, energy systems, and embedded software. We are seeking a passionate mechanical engineer to join the hardware development team of SPAN. As a mechanical engineer, you will rely on your past experience in mechanical design and manufacturing processes to assist Span’s hardware design, testing, and manufacturing efforts.
In this role, you will:
- Model and design components using a variety of materials (plastic, metal, and glass).
- Collaborate with internal and external teams.
- Build prototype components and assemblies.
- Develop and perform tests related to compliance, environmental, and reliability.
- Create detailed 2D drawings using GD&T when applicable.
- Work with contract manufacturers to have parts made to specification, to improve quality and yield.
- Analyze design for tolerance stack up, manufacturing, assembly, and service to improve designs.
- Perform mechanical analysis including finite element, thermal, failure mode, and root cause.
- Design testing and manufacturing fixtures.
We are seeking a mechanical engineer who :
- Holds a BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering.
- Hands-on approach whether it be building a prototype or performing testing.
- Experience working on projects with diverse teams under tight timelines.
- Proficient in 3D CAD, 2D detailed drawings.
- Enjoys developing complex products and taking them from prototype to volume production.
We would love to hire someone who has:
- Demonstrated success working in a cross disciplinary, multi-cultural environment.
- Knowledge of national and international safety and regulatory requirements such as UL, National Electric Code(NEC), IEC, and ISO.
- Design experience with products that connect to the electrical grid
- Broad experience designing parts for various part fabrication techniques machining, sheet metal forming, stamping, plastic forming, and injection molding.
- Experience with development of performance validation, environmental testing, and reliability testing.
- Experience with analysis of test results including statistical analysis techniques.
- Deploying test machines in a large scale manufacturing environment with ability to develop rapid methods for scaling and duplication of test equipment.
- 1-2 years experience developing products from initial concepts to mass production.
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Impacting the future as a small, agile team means putting in a lot of hard work and elbow grease so we work to make sure you are happy, healthy, and you look forward to coming to work. Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Sunny, airy office located close to BART and Caltrain
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities and events
- Opportunity to influence our culture
Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.