We are a soon-to-be launched not-for-profit business accelerator working to significantly speed the growth of the inclusive clean energy economy of New York State, and beyond. Our goal is to help fulfill the necessarily aggressive climate targets enacted by the City and State, by creating an ‘accelerator of excellence’ focused on scaling the best growth-stage clean energy companies from around the world. We will achieve this goal by assisting with business development, corporate partnerships, tailored technical support, and providing non-dilutive grants up to $500k per qualifying company looking to grow in New York. We are excited for our official launch in Spring 2020, and have big ambitions to contribute to the impressive and growing ecosystem we’re joining. We are funded by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), a public benefit corporation advancing clean, resilient, and affordable energy solutions for New Yorkers.
We are a chapter of New Energy Nexus, an international non-profit organization that strives to achieve a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible by supporting diverse clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators, and networks. New Energy Nexus started in California as the California Clean Energy Fund and now operates programs in China, India, Southeast Asia, and East Africa
About the Role
The Operations and Grants Manager will define and run the processes required for contract management, grants administration for both public and private funders, tracking and reporting, and back office functions. The Operations and Grants Manager will shape the infrastructure, enabling a compliant and effective program. The person in this role will safeguard the compliance function within the organization to assure sound due-diligence practices and procedures. This role reports to the Managing Director and may have direct reports down the road but will not have any initially. We compensate competitively and offer medical, dental, and vision benefits. Our office is located in the heart of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, an innovative hub for entrepreneurs and creators. This role could be served remotely, at least initially.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an individual whose passion is process design & operational excellence, and is excited by the opportunity to define and create the organization’s infrastructure from its inception. The Operations and Grants Manager would ideally have experience in clean energy/sustainable business and thrive in an early stage environment by being a fast learner, self-motivated, solution-oriented, tech-savvy, and able to prioritize and multitask.
• Manage the processes and compliance requirements of the SOW with NYSERDA, including contract management, invoicing, reporting
• Oversee all activities related to the grants management of public and private funders (e.g. contracting, funding and payment reporting requirements and procedures)
• Manage the grants deployment process and compliance with grantees throughout the grant lifecycle (e.g., database management of pre/post-award processing, contracting, tracking payments, and reviewing and producing relevant reports)
• Establish and oversee contract requirements for all vendors, including service providers, project partners and stakeholders
• Ideally, advising on agreements between corporate partners and startups in the accelerator program, including pilots, MOUs, LOIs and financings
• Define and manage the company’s financial processes, including creating and managing budgets, invoicing and bookkeeping
• Establish and support back office functions including sourcing and managing database systems, oversee CRM program, IT, sourcing, onboarding and facilities management
• Contribute to the creation of thoughtful policies to produce and improve internal processes
• Bachelor's Degree+ with significant work experience, including executing the end-to-end process of managing and deploying public grants
• At least five years leading a grants compliance, finance, contracts, or similar function
• Experience working in non-profit organizations, ideally focused on clean energy, environment and/or sustainable business
• Experience working in a fast-paced, early stage, entrepreneurial environment, in a role that required prioritizing competing demands
• Passion for process development and management
• Strong database management experience
• Strong attention to detail and project management skills
• Strong analytical skills, particularly with financial data and budgets
• Collaborative work style and ability to achieve goals in a lean work environment with urgency and a solution focus