Zoox is looking for a senior engineer for restraint systems to join our Vehicle Engineering team. In this role, you will be responsible for the design, release, and launch of a new generation of passive restraint systems for Zoox's autonomous vehicles. You will utilize your expertise to develop, engineer, and integrate restraint performance and deliver the complete systems, rather than just components, as you work with a lean and agile team.
- Design automotive component parts in CATIA V5/V6
- Develop and execute passive restraint system requirements
- Work cross-functionally with engineering teams across Zoox to align on packaging, design, styling studio surfaces, and manufacturing processes to deliver the optimal balance of form vs. function vs. cost
- Implement processes and material selections to achieve world-class durability, reliability, and fit & finish of automotive restraint systems
- Complete and release CAD data of seatbelt assemblies and airbag modules in the sub-system and create detailed design solutions, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required
- Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design
- Collaborate with key restraint system and restraint module suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events
- Work closely with vehicle safety integration to align subsystem performance meets overall legal requirements and safety performance as per VTS – vehicle target specification
- Work cross-functionally within the Zoox Vehicle Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Procurement teams to ensure the restraint systems manufacturing and assembly feasibility and serviceability
- Manage technical documentation including DFMEAs and DVP&R’s
- BS in mechanical engineering or equivalent
- 7+ years of experience in automotive restraint systems component and subsystem engineering (OEM or Tier I level)
- Technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production and 3D modeling proficiency in CATIA V5 or the equivalent in experience
- Working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering
- Experience with restraint modules or restraint subsystems testing and data analysis
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 2 full lifecycle vehicle programs to include DVP&R and DFMEA
- Experience managing technical suppliers
- Demonstrated an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.