Zoox is looking for a senior mechanical engineer to join our Vehicle Engineering team. In this role, you will design and launch the systems that integrate autonomous driving sensors onto Zoox’s custom autonomous vehicle platform. Key responsibilities include design of complex electromechanical sensor and sensor cleaning assemblies, validation of sensor performance throughout system lifetime in automotive environments, technical supplier management, and support of manufacturing and service as your systems are deployed across Zoox’s autonomous fleet.
- Design electromechanical sensor assemblies; balancing requirements from multiple stakeholders: studio designers, sensor performance and optical engineers, vehicle/package architects, and your colleagues in other vehicle design domains
- Design and build visual mockups, proofs of concept, and functional A-Samples
- Manage design and development activities for multiple internal and external suppliers for the successful delivery of one or more electromechanical systems
- Manage test and validation of your systems
- Support test engineering, sensor performance engineers, and supplier teams in test design, failure analysis, and quality management
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineers and quality personnel to ramp production processes and meet build objectives
- Maintain BOMs, document and approve build processes, and support quality and cost engineering throughout the supply chain of your assemblies
- BS or MS in mechanical engineering or related field
- 7+ years of industry experience; automotive experience preferred
- 3D CAD design experience; Catia V5/V6 preferred
- Experience designing electronic modules in an automotive context
- Experience uncovering and solving packaging, structural, thermal and reliability challenges
- Experience with die cast, injection molded, and sheet metal parts
- Knowledge of automotive sensing modalities, electromechanical behaviors, and integration challenges
- Experience building products and assemblies through their entire lifecycle, from initial concept to production ramp
- Strong communication, organization and documentation skills
- Ability to drive toward decisions. Biased towards action over deliberation
- General aptitude with machining, 3D printing, hand tools, electronics
- Knowledge of automotive sensor cleaning challenges and solutions
- Experience managing external suppliers (T1s and CMs)
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.