Culdesac's mission is to build cities for people, not cars. We're the first post-car real estate developer, and our goal is to build the first car-free city in the US. We're starting with the first car-free neighborhood built from scratch - that's Culdesac Tempe, a 1000-person neighborhood that opens Fall 2020.
All of this draws from a core insight: the way we move defines the way we live. And the way we move is changing fast, with countless ways to get around today beyond private cars. Here's more
Senior Software Engineer at Culdesac is a high impact role. You will have an outsized ability to shape the direction of the company in deploying high quality customer and internal-facing software. You are a self-starting, organized, & energetic professional that will contribute to a wide range of engineering strategy, teamwork, and execution as we deliver scalable systems and top-notch user experiences. This is an engineering position, not a management one. However, because our team is still relatively small, "tech lead" activities, such as leading technical decisions, and mentorship, may fall under its umbrella. You should feel comfortable and excited to take those on as the need arises.
- Scope, implement, and ship complex engineering projects on time. This is the bulk of this role.
- Collaborate, often remotely, with product, bizops, and other areas of the company in the US to create and own Culdesac's technical roadmap.
- Lead, proactively unblock, and collaborate extensively with other engineers.
- Advocate for excellence, diligence, shipping speed, and maintainability both on the team and in your own work.
- Advocate for best-practices even when under pressure.
- Institute technologies, processes, and tooling that increase the effectiveness of the entire engineering team.
- Cultivate buy-in when difficult decisions need to be made.
- Support other staff in assigned project-based work.
- Any additional responsibilities shared by your manager.
- Driven, ambitious person with an innate sense of humility.
- Full-stack experience. Our current stack consists of Django, GraphQL, React, Apollo, TypeScript.
- Extensive experience delivering quality engineering solutions in different business domains.
- Experience collaborating with and leading engineering teams.
- Prioritizes customer experience and quality of product.
- Relentless focus on getting the job done.
- Context-switch effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Manage a high degree of complexity both within technical domains and in other areas of the business.
- Rigorously reason through 2nd and 3rd order consequences.
- Intrinsically motivated by quality work and collaboration.
- Strong moral compass.
- Excellent at giving and receiving constructive feedback, especially the hard-to-give variety.
- Values a caring, supportive, and honest culture.
This role is part of our experimental 10+2 program. It is based in Tempe for 10 months of the year, and is remote for the other two months.
Culdesac is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.