Why You Should Join the E3 Team
When you join the E3 team, you’ll be working on some of the most important issues of the day with some of the best minds in the electricity industry. We help shape energy and climate policy, play vital roles in regulatory proceedings, advise executives, and inform investment and planning decisions. At E3, you will be challenged and inspired. Who We Are
Founded in 1989, Energy + Environmental Economics (E3) is a fast-growing energy consulting firm that helps utilities, regulators, policy makers, developers, and investors make the best strategic decisions possible as they implement new public policies, respond to technological advances, and address customers’ shifting expectations.
Because E3 works with clients from all sectors of the electricity industry, we provide a 360-degree understanding of markets, planning, policy, regulation, and environmental factors. Just as important, we are committed to delivering clear, unbiased analyses that help clients make informed decisions.
E3 works on high-profile, high-impact projects in jurisdictions that lead in implementing clean energy policy. In California, Hawai’i and New York, we are advising state agencies and regulators about how to implement clean energy policies with an emphasis on customer incentives and markets. E3 is also expanding its international presence with recent projects in Europe, China, India, and Africa. What Makes you a Good Fit?We are seeking a senior modeler with robust quantitative skills and industry experience using and building modeling tools to solve real world challenges. The preferred candidate will have extensive experience using Python to develop and maintain models and datasets relevant to electric power sector economics and greenhouse gas mitigation policy: such as distributed energy resources (particularly energy storage and electric vehicles); regional- and national-scale electricity systems; and low-carbon energy systems. You will be responsible for ensuring a positive user experience for a suite of advanced models influencing energy policy and investment decisions in pursuit of an efficient, resilient and low-carbon electric grid and economy-wide decarbonization.E3 invests significantly in staff development and have developed our own internal 22 lecture training program. We seek to hire Consultants who intend to stay with the company for at least 2 years.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Engineering, or related fields
- Experience in QA/QC, debugging, and updating models run by novice and expert users
- Ability to prioritize and implement model updates and enhancements based on independent testing, user feedback, and feature requests
- Keen interest in accurate and elegant code that can be easily tested and maintained, as well as in continuously learning and improving Python skills
- Enthusiasm for supporting an environment of continuous learning for both coworkers and clients
- Desire to work in a dynamic office environment with 70+ other staff
- At least four years of working experience related to at least one of our specializations (see list below)
- Data science: curating and managing datasets and databases, data science & statistical methods
- Software development: experience using Python (or similar) language and Github,experience building and maintaining modeling codebases to support scientific or commercial research, particularly in the context of energy systems
- Optimization: Experience in theory and application of optimization routines such as linear programming (LP), mixed integer linear programming (MILP), stochastic optimization applied in electricity markets
- Modeling: demonstrated expertise using commercial energy systems modeling software, for example PLEXOS, AURORA, ReEDS, NEMS
E3’s Commitment to YouE3 provides abundant opportunities for professional growth. We’re highly collaborative, but everyone is encouraged to pursue their own areas of interest. Any team member may play a significant role in a project, and recent grads work alongside senior partners. We combine ongoing mentoring with a yearlong training program that prepares new hires to work independently. CompensationE3 titles and compensation are commensurate with experience and performance. E3 also offers competitive, flexible benefits. Application ProcessE3 will review submitted application materials on a rolling basis. We will hold phone and in-person interviews until all available positions are filled. Finding new team members that are a good fit is important to us, so we spend significant time in our recruiting process evaluating candidates. We are mindful that some E3 candidates will apply for positions at other firms with an accelerated schedule for interviews and job offers. If you anticipate that you may need to know about E3’s decision on your candidacy by a specific date, please note the timing on your application page. No phone calls please.
- Advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D) in Operations Research, Engineering, or related fields
- Experience using commercial grade optimization solvers like Gurobi and CPLEX
- 2 years of experience working as a lead in a Python model development team
- A background in web user interface development focused on user experience or visual design
- Familiarity with a range of tools to create compelling charts and maps that illustrate rich quantitative datasets
- Academic or work experience in one or more of the following areas: Energy storage, Electric vehicles, Electric power system operations, Power plant engineering, Transmission operations, Building electrification, Rate design, Renewable integration, Climate policy