Hi! We're Forerunner.
We believe that adaptation is a necessity, not a luxury, and communities deserve access to powerful software that helps them plan for the future. The challenge of climate change is complex -- it implicates how municipalities plan, manage capital, and communicate to both residents and higher levels of government. Forerunner helps local communities do these things better by empowering them to access, understand, and mobilize local-level flood risk data at scale. Our software is built to be easy-to-use, so that the planners and floodplain managers preparing for our future can focus on the important stuff. We're working with communities like Pinellas County in Florida and Harris County in Texas to mobilize permit data for adaptation action. As the newest addition to our team, you will work on gaining insights from this data and developing machine learning models to fill in crucial gaps in information.
About the position:
We're searching for a data scientist with 3-5 years of experience to join us for a 3-month contract with the possibility of converting to full-time. You might be good fit if you:
- Have a track record of completing progressively complex data science and machine learning projects. You'll be our first data science team member, so we'll rely on your expertise to help scope and manage our data and analytics projects.
- Have expertise in SQL, are well-versed in R/Python, and have experience with diverse statistical libraries. Bonus points: you're familiar with computer vision and deep learning concepts.
- Have experience with deploying machine learning models in production environments. You'll be collaborating closely with our engineers to deliver your work to our partners.
- Are comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity. We're looking for someone who has a bias toward action and is comfortable translating open-ended questions into outcomes.
- Consider yourself to be a great communicator. We're a small team working remotely, which requires us to be prompt and clear with written and spoken communication across domains of expertise.
Our team has a lot to offer.
Forerunner is a seed-stage company with an interdisciplinary team. We are motivated by seemingly intractable problems and work hard to support one another.
- We're mission-driven. Our mission orients our business strategy and pushes us to work with a sense of urgency. We’re in the weeds -- our entire team spends time engaging with our partners in the field to better understand the real-world problems they face.
- We're a small team. As a member of our growing team, you will quickly become an invaluable part of our organization and have a meaningful impact on our business and technical direction. We welcome unique perspectives and backgrounds. Your opinion matters and we hope you'll share it.
- We're remote within the U.S. We each work from where we're happiest and most productive — we expect you to do the same. We offer schedule flexibility and ask for accountability in return.
We're looking forward to meeting you. To apply or ask questions, shoot us a message at email@example.com!