WHO WE ARE
Carbon180 is a new breed of climate-focused NGO on a mission to fundamentally rethink carbon. We know that our climate goals can only be met by rapidly reducing emissions and removing the carbon that already exists in our atmosphere. The good news? Carbon is much more than mere waste. We work at the intersection of science, business, and policy to champion solutions that transform carbon from a liability to an asset and foster a prosperous, carbon-conscious economy. Our team has offices in Oakland, CA and Washington, D.C., with a few teammates that work remotely from other cities.
Overview Carbon180 is seeking a Senior Communications Associate to support our core organizational communications work. This role works across all of Carbon180’s program areas, bringing our brand to life and establishing the organization as a thought leader in the climate and carbon removal fields. You will be responsible for driving Carbon180’s public communications channels and working strategically with members of the team to target and communicate compelling messages to our key audiences. This position will work closely with the Managing Director and another Senior Communications Associate with a focus on policy.
Major Roles + Responsibilities
● Work alongside Carbon180’s Managing Director + communications team to set communications strategy, vision, and goals
● Lead C180’s efforts to revisit and refine our brand messaging and voice to best reach key target audiences
● Leveraging this revised brand messaging, lead and execute a strategy for Carbon180’s social media platforms
● Drive content strategy, create consistent content calendar, and draft content for blog posts, op-eds, and other written collateral, adapting tone and style to meet the needs and interests of various audiences
● Define and track key metrics for our online channels and use that information to optimize communications performance
● Craft, send, and grow the audience of C180’s weekly newsletter: “The Carbon Copy”, which currently has over 3,000 subscribers ● Provide story and copy-editing support for Carbon180 publications across program areas
● Regularly update the organization’s website, and, over time, design + lead a process for updating and organizing the org’s website
● Generally, support the work of the C180 team
● Carbon180 is deeply committed to providing competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits to our employees.
● The salary range for the Senior Associate position will be between $80,000 and $100,000, commensurate with candidate experience and adjusted for cost of living in the location of the position.
● NOTE: We will mostly likely consider candidates with less than 3 years of professional experience for an Associate-level role, with the opportunity to grow into a Senior Associate-level role based on performance within the first year of joining the team. The salary range for the Associate-level role would be between $65,000 and $85,000, informed by the same guidelines as above.
WHO YOU ARE
Our ideal Senior Communications Associate believes deeply in our mission. Beyond that:
● You like to write, and you’re good at it. People go to you to help them convey complex ideas in a compelling manner and in the right format.
● You move fluidly from strategy to execution. You appreciate the big picture and feel inspired to set a bold vision, but you know it's all in the details. You manage projects fluidly, fiercely prioritize, and track timelines, data, and information in an organized and systematic fashion. You don't drop balls, miss deadlines, or forget to respond to someone's inquiry - and you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves to do the work.
● You excel on a small, nimble team. You are flexible, comfortable with ambiguity, have a quick bounce-back time after a setback, and get energy from building the plane as you fly it. You’re willing and excited to pitch in to support wherever needed to help the team achieve its goals, even if it means stepping outside of your “lane.”
● You have an eagle eye for detail. Typos and grammatical errors are no match for you. Clear branding guidelines make your heart sing.
● You’re comfortable getting into the weeds, but don’t stay there. You can quickly research, understand, and translate technical subjects. Your storytelling skills to elevate our work in a way that inspires action.
● You nerd out on great graphic design. You’re not a designer per se, but you understand how visual presentation impacts the efficacy of communications. Your back pocket is full of design inspiration and you’re ready to communicate clearly and concisely with designers, photographers, and coders to bring your vision to life.
● You’re not afraid to break the status quo. You’ve learned industry best practices, but are ready to get creative and test new ideas. You have a sixth sense for what feels passé, and are excited about forging new paths.
● You’re high impact, low-ego, maintain a sense of humor and optimism, and are kind to yourself and others. You take a collaborative, consistent approach to work. You know that the way you show up each day impacts the people around you, and you're committed to being someone who brings up the “positivity quotient” of the team
Beyond that, you will need:
● A proven track record (3+ years) in communications, PR, or a related field
● A healthy dose of climate rage and the determination to do something about it
● Excellent communication skills, with proven writing, editing, and proofreading prowess ● Demonstrated experience managing social media platforms
● A track record of sustained, high-quality work in fast-paced environments
● Refined project management skills, with a knack for staying organized and working across multiple competing projects and timelines
● Experience using Squarespace, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Mailchimp a strong plus