Impossible Foods is addressing the most catastrophic threats facing humanity: climate change and biodiversity collapse. A global transition to a plant-based food system will turn back the clock on atmospheric C02 levels, restore natural ecosystems and reverse meltdown in wildlife biomass.The easiest -- if not only -- way to make our civilization sustainable is to eliminate livestock, the most dangerous technology on Earth. But humans won’t give up meat. So we need to make meat better -- more delicious and more nutritious, without animals as the underlying production technology. That means that making meat sustainably is the most important and urgent problem for the global scientific community.Impossible Foods' mission is to completely replace the use of animals as a food-production technology by offering consumers everything they currently value about animal products -- and making products that are vastly superior to their animal analogues.To do this, we are taking a revolutionary scientific and market-based approach. We are inventing efficient, sustainable ways to transform ingredients from plants into meat, fish and dairy foods that deliver all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the destructive environmental or public health impact.Our world-class R&D team has been building the know-how and technology platform to produce meat, fish and dairy foods from plants. Impossible Foods is experiencing rapid growth and is resolutely committed to leading all aspects of the plant-based food revolution—from discovery to commercial production. The only thing that will separate Impossible Foods from success and failure is our ability to recruit more world-class experts. Want to join? Check out the job openings and requirements below:
The overarching goal of the group is to build up an arsenal of plant-based materials that enable re-creation of any animal-based foods. We are looking for scientist with a track record of doing highly innovative research, and a desire to apply her/his thinking to creating materials from plant proteins. The primary responsibility for this role is leading and coordinating research and development work in the area of protein extrusion. Background in the area of protein biophysics and biochemistry, or in experimental soft matter physics, is beneficial, but a bright and driven scientist from any broadly related background will be considered. Familiarity with protein extrusion and understanding of principle of extrusion and food texturization, are desirable but not necessary.
As a leader of the extrusion sub-group, she/he will be supervising several scientists, research associates and technicians. She/he will be guiding their research, helping with experimental designs and engineering solutions, and mentoring their scientific development. Outside of the group, she/he will be expected to establish strong cross-functional interactions, in particular with Engineering, Product development and Supply & Operations teams.
We are looking for a person who can generate ideas, influence and drive them forward, rather than simply execute; someone who is a master of state-of-the-art, but can challenge existing paradigms and innovate rather than always opt for the tried-and-true.
- Lead a group of scientists, engineers, research associates and technicians working in the area of food extrusion.
- Spearhead research aimed at deeper understanding and better control of extrusion, both on a fundamental and on an applied level.
- Design, coordinate, oversee and perform experiments using chemistry, rheology, spectroscopy, microscopy, and other approaches to understanding behavior of proteins in extrusion-like conditions.
- Push the frontier of extrusion technology for producing novel textured materials. Work with engineers on converting ideas coming from fundamental research into specific engineering solutions.
- Actively participate in creating new food prototypes leveraging knowledge of extrusion and food texturization.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
- PhD. in Material Science, Physics, Physical Chemistry, Chemistry, Biological or Chemical Engineering or any other relevant field. BS or MSc degrees will be considered given the evidence of PhD+ level of knowledge in the relevant areas.
- 8+ years of experience in extrusion and/or demonstrating deep understanding of food extrusion.
- Track record of publications and presentation indicative of high recognition of candidate’s research in relevant areas by peers.
- Demonstrated ability to suggest novel ideas, articulate them clearly and design experiments testing these ideas.
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a team, leading and mentoring research associates, collaborating effectively with fellow scientists and engineers, and setting an example of scientific excellence for the team.