About Elemental Excelerator
Elemental Excelerator advances solutions to climate change and deploys those solutions in the communities that need them the most. Each year, we find 15-20 companies that best fit our mission and fund each company up to $1 million to improve systems that impact people’s lives: energy, water, food & agriculture, mobility, and the circular economy. To date, we have awarded over $36 million to 99 companies and deployed more than 59 projects in Hawaii, California’s frontline communities, and the Asia Pacific. At Elemental, we blend a growth mindset with the diverse backgrounds and roots of our team, cultivating a dynamic culture where everyone’s contributions are valued and encouraged.
Director of People Operations
Elemental is looking for a highly collaborative and experienced individual to lead and facilitate our
People Operations activities. The Director of People Operations will be responsible for creating,
implementing, and iterating on processes and programs that support the team’s wellbeing, growth,
and ultimately the organization’s success. This is a great opportunity for someone who thrives in a
dynamic mission-driven organization and who welcomes changes as opportunities for growth.
The Director of People Operations will report to the Managing Director of Finance and collaborate
closely with our Equity & Access team to align internal and external programs. The key
responsibilities for this role will be supporting Elemental’s team and mission by:
• Creating, leading, and advising on the following People Ops-related areas:
o Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
o Employee Experience
o Culture and Relationship Development
o Recruiting and Retention
o Onboarding and Offboarding
o Compensation Management
o Performance Reviews
o Career Pathing
o Professional Development
• Understanding People Ops policies, programs, laws, and issues and implementing systems to
ensure regulatory compliance.
Need to have:
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5 years of experience in relevant roles with increasing responsibility
• Experience creating and/or curating diversity, equity, and inclusion-related programs
1099 Alakea St, Suite 1250 | Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813
P: (808) 237-5050 | www.elementalexcelerator.com
• Experience establishing relationships as a trusted advisor with the highest degree of integrity;
exercises confidentiality and good judgment in complex and sensitive situations.
• Flexible leader - you can operate at a highly strategic level, but can also perform all tactical
People Ops-related duties for the company.
• Experience developing creative recruiting strategies and being strategic to identify and attract
diverse top-notch talent in a highly competitive market.
• Experience coaching employees and facilitating programming
• Excellent oral and written communications skills, including strong interpersonal skills – i.e., a
“people person" – the ability to connect people and meet them where they are while being able
to deliver messages in a simple manner.
• Team-oriented mindset and ability to work successfully in fast-paced teams
• Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to quickly re-direct
• Creative problem-solving skills
• A demonstrated ability to navigate in complexity and build new processes
• Excitement about being part of a mission-driven organization in a fast-moving and highly
collaborative work environment.
Nice to have:
• Human resources certification: PHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, or SPHR
• Master’s degree in human resources or a related field
• Experience working with companies that intersect with Elemental’s mission