We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
The New Vehicle Introduction team is looking for a Senior Autonomous Vehicle Engineer to help bring up (configure and calibrate) and troubleshoot issues on autonomous vehicles. You will work at the intersection of hardware, software, and AV technology, as well as the intersection of engineering and operations, to scale new vehicle introductions.
This is a great opportunity to apply your transferable skills and experience from a crossover industry, such as aerospace / avionics, UAVs / drones, robotics, automated manufacturing, or medical devices.
- Perform mechanical/electrical and software integration and introduction of new autonomous vehicles platforms.
- Work with calibration teams to ensure calibration infrastructure is compatible with the new vehicle platforms.
- Debug HW and SW issues on vehicles and take-on troubleshooting and repairs. Ability to write your own scripts will aid in this process.
- Become familiar with Cruise AV systems and proactively respond to vehicle changes.
- Identify, escalate, and resolve issues with vehicle hardware, calibration and bring up processes and tools.
- Work cross-functionally with GM and Cruise engineers to implement new technology related to hardware evolution and enhancing autonomous vehicle operation.
- Proactively look for and drive improvements to process and design to support safety, maintainability, and scalability both at Cruise and at GM’s factory.
- Work with other engineers to develop tools for tracking, reporting, and diagnosing issues to run NVI operation at scale.
- Some travel may be required (<10%).
- Previous systems integration experience working closely with mechanical, electrical, and software teams on electromechanical systems. 4+ years with BS, 2+ years with MS.
- For senior-level: 6+ years with BS, 4+ years with MS.
- Hands-on experience with mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components and an understanding of how they interact in a complex electromechanical system.
- Exceptional analytical problem solving skills, able to identify and surface issues within complex HW/SW systems.
- Comfortable operating in an ambiguous environment with an evolving project scope.
- Effective communicator and excellent attention to detail.
- Able to ramp up quickly on numerous new technical areas.
- Ability to read mechanical, electrical single-line, and networking diagrams.
- Experience with low volume manufacturing or start-up manufacturing highly preferred.
- BS, MS, PhD in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software, Mechatronics, Robotics) or other applicable technical degree.
- Experience with Python and C++ and the ability to run scripts to aid in troubleshooting diagnostics with cross-functional engineering teams.
- Previous hands-on experience with autonomous or robotic systems.
- Experience with software version control systems like git or svn.
- Experience within the automotive industry.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.