Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo BioWorks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- Implement experimental design, statistics, and data science methodologies in collaboration with technical functions and program teams to help build engineered microbial products for agriculture.
- Experimental Design and Statistical Modeling: Apply biostatistics tools for design and analysis of analytical chemistry lab experiments. Detection, identification and measurement of chemical composition using statistical methods to manage variation in the signal due to noise and or instrument drift. Collaborate with Microbial Engineers and Ginkgo Foundry to structure and simplify complex scientific questions into analytics strategy and outcomes datasets. Continually seek opportunities to improve methods and analyses by application of statistical or quantitative tools.
- Assay Development, Instrument Analysis, and Validation Analytics: Partner with Scientists to guide assay development for analytical chemistry assays including but not limited to high throughput screens, LC/MS, GC/MS, HPLC, fractionation, colorimetric spectroscopy, protein quantification assays, growth curves, etc. Drive planning and shepherd through execution of assay validation phase. Ensure accuracy, precision, calibration, etc for biosensors and instruments. Create novel scientific insights and starting points by analyzing analytical chemistry lab data from multiple in vitro experiments, biosensors, and instruments. Develop ad-hoc analyses into standardized and automated analysis pipelines. Build and maintain a scientific code base, develop QC and preprocessing pipelines, and create business-relevant visualizations.
- Foster a data-centric culture: Communicate effectively through listening, documentation and presentations, especially using compelling visualizations to share analysis and interpretation of data. Contribute to increasing the data fluency in Joyn Bio by mentoring others in statistical concepts. Be a proactive and driving part of an innovative team. Inspire people with new approaches and your way of thinking, and the potential for biostatistics and assay validation to accelerate their work.
- Experience with analytical chemistry in high throughput bioassays and fermentation monitoring at small and large scales required -- LC/MS required; GC/MS, HPLC, and fractionation preferred.
- Multiple years of industry experience (5+ years preferred) with strengths in several of the following: experimental design, assay development, assay validation, statistical modeling.
- Strong communication skills, collaborative mindset and track record with cross-disciplinary functional teams.
- Analytical skills and mindset to solve real-world problems with applied biostatistics; enjoys structuring and simplifying complex problems.
- Fluent in R, Python and capable of framing problems as programming tasks; command line and Github usage; familiarity with JMP statistical software.
- Familiarity with Tableau, Spotfire, R Shiny/Dash/Plotly/Kibana or other web-based interfaces to create graphic-rich scientific visualizations.
- M.S. or Ph.D. with statistical coursework – some examples include but are not limited to Chemical Biology, Organic Chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical or Biological Engineering, Biostatistics, etc.
- A passion for creating transformative agricultural products, discovering new ways to add value to farmers.
- This position reports to the Data Science Lead.
- This position will be a part of the Platform and Infrastructure team.
- Joyn Bio welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.
This position is based in Boston, Massachusetts.