Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks that applies synthetic biology tools to engineer better microbes for agriculture.
- The Data Associate will help us integrate proprietary data from microbiology, molecular biology, and plant sciences into our growing data lake as we engineer microbes for agricultural applications that provide season-long benefits to crops.
- Organize and clarify Joyn Bio data. The Joyn Data Commons is a cloud-based data environment built to enable connection between complex datasets spanning from molecules to fields. The Data Associate will work with the Dept Head and the Data Science team to ensure that data from Microbial Engineering, Plant Sciences, and Bioprocessing & Formulation are well-structured, such that data packages look the same across multiple types of data. Organize data in the Joyn Bio Data Commons, making sure data sets use Joyn Bio ontologies and controlled vocabularies, thus enabling analysis across design-build-test cycles incorporating multiple teams.
- Curate, validate, accelerate. The Data Associate will also work with the Data Science Lead and team to develop and use statistical measures of data quality to verify our ability to conduct increasingly advanced data science analyses. Manage and curate data sets from Microbial Engineering projects, Plant-Microbe Interaction experiments, greenhouse and field trials, and Bioprocessing & Formulation runs. Work with the Data Teams in Ginkgo BioWorks to accelerate productive data flow between Joyn Bio teams, Ginkgo BioWorks, and collaborators. Work with data generated internally and in collaboration with outside labs and companies. Strengthen and model best data practices.
- Aggregate, summarize, and visualize Joyn Bio progress. Combine data sets using scripting and, together with the Data Science team, develop ad-hoc prototype pipelines for preprocessing and improving data quality. Perform exploratory analyses and visualize data and data quality metrics. Aggregate and summarize data into scorecards, and track progress by developing dashboards.
- B.S. in a technical field which requires focus on scientific data, such as Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry, Biological, Biomedical, or Chemical Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Coursework, such as CS101, and/or experience in a scripting language (e.g. python).
- Interest in data visualization and crafting organized and appealing data driven reports.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Exposure to scientific, engineering, or manufacturing data, such as through a co-op, internship, or laboratory research experience.
- Analytical skills and mindset to solve real-world problems with efficient informatic approaches, enjoying restructuring and simplifying complex problems and automating tasks.
This position will report to the Data Science Lead, and will collaborate with Joyn Bio teams across sites.
Joyn Bio welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.