Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
- The Scientist - Protein Engineering role is a highly collaborative position that leverages synthetic biology and high throughput protein engineering tools to deliver upon microbial engineering objectives for Joyn Projects.
- Work closely with payload team lead to deliver upon team objectives, particularly in protein engineering.
- Develop strategic, high throughput protein engineering workflows to address the needs of both platform and project teams.
- Implement and execute upon protein engineering technical strategies on a day to day basis.
- Interact with Program Teams to ensure that key stakeholders are aligned across the project.
- Master Ginkgo software and Foundry usage for experiment/sample planning, tracking, and storage.
- Draft and manage Technical Project Plans in collaboration with Joyn’s Computational Biology & Data Science and Bioprocess & Formulation Departments, as well as with Ginkgo Bioworks Foundry Personnel.
- Collaborate across Joyn Bio platforms in order to drive engineering projects forward.
- Expected to spend up to 70% of the time in the wet lab, and 30% of the time managing projects and developing new approaches.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent combination of degree and experience) in protein engineering, biochemistry, microbiology, or a related discipline.
- 3+ years of post-graduate experience in protein engineering, industrial experience a plus.
- A proven track record of functional protein improvement via engineering and/or evolution.
- Experience with protein modeling and computational approaches is a plus.
- Experience with high throughput engineering/evolution approaches (mutation libraries, phage display, etc.) is a plus.
- This position reports into the Payload Team Lead.
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Microbial Engineering team.
This position will be based at our Boston site and will require 5-10% travel.