Location: Remote with options to travel to Bristol or London on occasions
At Kaluza, we’re looking for a Design Lead to join our Platform Design team.
We want people who are passionate about the world of renewable energy to help our teams create better tools and services so we can power the UK’s clean energy future.
Kaluza is shaping the future: a distributed, consumer-centric energy system providing clean, affordable energy for everyone. Two of our largest platforms are; Orion, our flexible software platform which enables energy suppliers to provide a simple, transparent, reliable experience to their customers. We also have Flex, which is our intelligent technology platform which aims to unlock the benefits of renewable energy and smart devices to help decarbonise the grid.
You’ll join a large and highly collaborative team with a startup mentality matched with the resources of the UK’s largest independent energy supplier. If you’re looking for something to challenge you, this is a great opportunity.
We’ve embraced flexible working and our team members are trusted to choose how and where they work to balance team-building with their lives outside of the office. Kaluza teams are spread across the UK and Europe, but collaboration is still key to how we work.
Kaluza is part of the OVO family of companies, learn more about us at ovoenergy.com/careers and Glassdoor. We were delighted to win a 2020 Top Employers award and uSwitch's 2019 Supplier of the Year.
Diverse teams are the best teams. Only when we represent everyone, can we create services which benefit everyone. We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. And we know 'normal' office hours don't work for everyone, so we're open to discussing flexible working requests. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
What you’ll be doing:
- Define and iterate complex user journeys whilst consistently considering the wider experience of the platform and energy ecosystem.
- Actively mentor others in their grasp of more complex design principles, and how to approach their own work from a more ‘holistic’ user-centred perspective.
- Define what research and data will be essential in shaping complex design programmes, ensure these insights are usable by product teams and the wider product org.
- Align with design, product and engineering to guide teams in answering the right questions to promote a collaborative, measurable approach. Openly share findings and encourage others to do the same
- Have a deep awareness of our design system and support others in the navigation and usage of the system.
- Assist on the creation of highly efficient and complex service maps. Iterate and evolve those maps based on live results.
- Create and promote canvases and frameworks, and guide people on how to select the right tool for the job
- Strong technical knowledge to enable meaningful and useful conversations regarding technical constraints.
- Source information and requirements from broad business areas (research, data, product, engineering, marketing, editorial & content, ops.) and provide clarity to others, translating incredibly complex and strategic project requirements across multiple levels
- Consistently able to get the right people in the room to overcome conflicts or issues, and consistently distill the ‘need to know’ information for the right audience, in language and terms everyone understands
- Become a visible and vocal presence within the design organisation, who creates and delivers compelling stories that can be presented to the entire design group & executive team.
What we are looking for:
- A champion of customer needs and experience for the business both internally and externally
- Someone who creates time and access for their team to collaborate with product and engineering partners in a meaningful way
- A critical thinking process and complex problem solver
- A multi-disciplinary designer with a strong portfolio across user experience, Interaction design, research, data and technology and proven experience managing other designers
- Effective in building and maintaining strong relationships at team level and at senior leadership level
- A compelling communicator: you can distil complex ideas and package them for easy consumption and adoption and have a strong influence in strategic discussions
- Always eager to learn, and a willingness to share with others happily and freely.
- Comfortable with remote working on a regular basis.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills.
You’ll love working with us if you...
- have a passion for understanding real people’s problems
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems that can be solved with better research methods
- are empathetic with colleagues, as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a narrative, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace agility and iteration, and celebrate learning and change
- You thrive in an agile, ever-changing, and demanding environment that requires multi-tasking.
When you join Kaluza Platform Design team, you’ll join our OVO-wide community of researchers, designers and copywriters. The design community at OVO focuses on helping teams to see their product through the eyes of real people – understanding their context, motivations, and needs – so we can improve the experience for everyone.
We use whatever methods and media best suit the challenge, and inform strategic choices about where improvements could have the greatest impact. We love design workshops, getting people excited about service design, UX critiques, improving our accessibility, and putting participants first in our research. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
OVO exists to power human progress with clean and affordable energy for all. We’re here to challenge the status quo: to be the good ones, always find a way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly. We understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our forward-thinking future, so our people will always share in our success. Our benefits are nice too.
We want to build teams which represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we hire on the basis of merit and potential. So – get in touch, ask lots of questions.