Analyst/Associate - Capital Markets & Investor Relations
Generate Capital is hiring an Analyst / Associate for its Capital Markets team, which is responsible for leading and managing the company’s capital formation activities, capital structure, investor relations, and capital markets relationships. The Analyst/Associate will work closely with a small and nimble team to support a variety of different corporate and project-level capital raises, the optimization of the company’s capital stack and cost of capital, and the its relationship management and reporting responsibilities with current and prospective investors, lenders and other capital providers.
ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. The objective of our infrastructure business is to deliver the most affordable, reliable, and sustainable resource systems to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. We invest in what McKinsey is calling the “Resource Revolution:” doing more with less of our natural resources. Thanks to these increasingly mature resource-related technologies, distributed, networked infrastructure is the most cost-effective and reliable way to produce critical resources (energy, food, water, materials). We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues — and we don’t need to reinvent the world to do so. We need to rebuild it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $10B pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-ServiceTM), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, and water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
You are a highly systematic, hard-working and self-directed individual who is also a good communicator and is excited by the opportunity to work closely with the firm’s Capital Market’s team to support investor relations activities, and coverage of external capital partners in order to support the sourcing, execution, reporting and communications around prior, current and future capital raising activities.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as an Investment Analyst/Associate:
- Work as part of a small (but growing) team as an integral part of capital markets activity and relationship management
- Support regular and ad hoc Investor Relations responsibilities including quarterly/annual reporting and communications, capitalization table management, annual investor audits and other similar needs/requests
- Plan, organize, create content for and execute periodic shareholder update calls, the annual general meeting, non-deal roadshows and on-site meetings with existing and prospective capital partners
- Prepare information used in materials presented to investors, lenders, banks, advisors, rating agencies and other external constituents for specific due diligence and ongoing reporting processes
- Support and lead diligence processes to help financing counterparties understand Generate Capital’s assets and business in order to receive, evaluate, and provide feedback on term sheet proposals
- Work closely with various other teams within the company to prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports, models and analyses that will be used internally and for external facing capital markets counterparties
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of the Company’s internal reporting software platform in order to efficiently generate and analyze data requests and produce refined reporting materials
- Prepare materials used to support capital management decisions, in addition to investor, management and board-level presentations
- Build Excel models to analyze corporate and subsidiary capitalization tables and shareholdings, and to respond to shareholder requests
- Build, expand and maintain relationships with different types of existing and prospective capital partners including equity, debt and tax equity investors, investment banks, and other market participants
- Keep up with relevant industry trends and information through research reports and issuer pricing releases
- Monitor financial market and insurance industry developments and assess their impact on the business and strategy
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
- Strong work ethic and commitment to a high standard of excellence
- Superb analytical, communication and presentation skills
- Detail orientation and meticulousness with an uncompromising desire for timeliness and accuracy of data
- Proven ability to balance multiple assignments and manage quality, accuracy, and consistency of each work product
- Ability to operate autonomously and exceed expectations despite minimal guidance
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility to do whatever it takes and ability to succeed in ambiguous situations
- Proven ability to manage large workloads to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to synthesize and clearly communicate findings of analyses
- Resourceful and creative in approach to research and problem-solving
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Intellectual agility and curiosity
- Ability to work well in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment
- Proven ability to work with diverse groups of people in challenging and complex endeavors
- Unimpeachable character, strong values orientation, and a cultural fit with a rapidly growing investment firm
- 2-5 years of relevant industry experience with a strong preference for work in investment banking, management consulting, or private equity with exposure to client communication and/or investor relations
- 2-5 years of Excel modelling experience and an understanding of financial statements and projections
- Bachelor’s degree with high academic achievement a plus
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and PowerPoint. Proficiency with SalesForce or similar relationship management software platform a plus
- Experience modeling and/or closing project finance transactions in the resource efficiency space a plus
- Experience managing projects from start to finish
- Strong references from prior employers and peers
This position will be based in our San Francisco, CA office.
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.