We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on leader to manage our Global Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Programs and team. As part of the Corporate Real Estate and Workplace department at Cruise, the Senior Global EHS Manager will foster a thriving culture where safety and security values and practices are integrated into every facet of the company while supporting a fast-paced and innovative business environment
In this position, you will collaborate with teams across CREW, Hardware, Operations, HR, and Legal Cruise to build a world-class workplace safety program in line with our company’s overall commitment to creating a safer world.
What you’ll be doing:
- Direct the vision and strategy for the Environmental Health & Safety team and collaborate cross-region, cross-team and cross-function to execute on these strategic plans.
- Develop EHS metrics and processes to track and drive progress
- Understand and interpret global EHS standards and regulatory requirements and develop strategies for compliance and management of risk
- Serve as safety leader in the Crisis Management Team, including continuously improving our COVID-19 workplace protection measures and response
- Support and guide business leaders and related functional groups on EHS risks and practices including real estate, mergers & acquisitions, facilities operations, R&D activities, garage operations, and events.
- Oversee the EHS risk assessment and incident reporting processes and perform periodic audits to identify opportunities related to EH&S, potential environmental and workplace hazards, program deficiencies, and workplace safety incident reviews/lessons learned.
- Partner with the Operational Safety team to develop and implement the company-wide Safety Management System and safety information systems.
- Manage the global EHS budget and associated contracts for related services including working with on-site EHS resources through CBRE.
What you must have:
- Broad EHS knowledge and leadership experience (10+ years) within a global context
- Experience managing EHS in industrial and R&D settings that span multi-site
- Strong analytical skills with ability to provide clear recommendations and solutions
- Ability to negotiate and creatively problem solve for mutually successful outcomes with business leaders
- Ability to influence at all levels of management and formulate a compelling business case
- Ability to manage through ambiguity and provide clarity to the team
- Results-driven with excellent project management
- Stays current with safety & health industry trends, is a member of professional safety associations (ASSE, AIHA, etc.), and has a strong network of EHS professionals for best practice sharing
- Strong computer literacy skills including Google suite
- Ability to be agile, flexible, and adaptable to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and matrixed team environment.
- Must have experience in emergency management and be available to manage after-hours emergencies.
- Bachelor degree or higher education in a science or engineering field, environmental health & safety focused degree preferred.
- CSP and/or CIH certification preferred.
- Public speaking skills
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.