App Deadline: Monday August 31, 2020
Read full JD + Apply at this link
WHO WE ARE
Carbon180 is a new breed of climate-focused NGO on a mission to fundamentally rethink carbon. We know that our climate goals can only be met by rapidly reducing emissions and removing the carbon that already exists in our atmosphere. The good news? Carbon is much more than mere waste. We work at the intersection of science, business, and policy to champion solutions that transform carbon from a liability to an asset and foster a prosperous, carbon-conscious economy. Our team is centered in Washington, D.C.
Overview. Our team is looking for an Operations Manager to help Carbon180 accelerate and expand our impact over our next phase of growth. With responsibilities spanning from operational planning to financial management to people operations, our OM is a skilled leader in organizational effectiveness, culture, and management. Able to translate a vision into a plan for execution, our OM works to align the resources, energy, and effort of the team to achieve shared goals - and gets the “rocks off the road” so that our staff can focus on advancing carbon removal solutions.
Compensation. Carbon180 is deeply committed to providing competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits to our employees. The salary range for this position will be between $80,000 and $100,000 - commensurate with candidate experience and adjusted for cost of living in the location of the position.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Major Roles + Responsibilities
Organizational Leadership, Planning + Effectiveness
- Work with ED and team leads to implement and improve systems we use to set organizational strategy, goals, and priorities
- Consistently improve internal systems that enable the C180 team to stay focused on our priorities, communicate our progress, coordinate our efforts, and problem solve to adjust course when needed
- Set vision and priorities for the operations work at C180 to help the team scale from an org of ~10 full time employees to an org of ~25 over the next 3-5 years, including developing and adjusting internal systems + processes to scale with us as we grow
- Analyze and report out clearly and consistently on key metrics of our operational health, with ideas to address gap areas
- Design and implement new internal systems, procedures, and/or policies to maximize team productivity
People Operations + Organizational Culture
- Create and manage central recruitment + hiring systems and processes; work with hiring managers to lead execution
- Lead planning for and execution of onboarding for new hires to ensure they are set up for success
- Refine and ensure execution of performance management systems to support ongoing development of C180 teammates, and to help managers ensure individual performance goals are rooted in org-wide strategic goals
- Lead research, selection, and administration of employee benefits plans, including analyzing + recommending annual updates
- Oversee operational systems, including payroll, timesheets, time off, and employee leave
- Make and communicate updates as needed to employee handbook and other people-facing policies or systems
- Create opportunities for staff to strengthen and actively build an equitable + inclusive team culture rooted in our core values
- Over time, spearhead new opportunities to enhance professional development for C180 teammates
Financial + Legal Management
- In partnership with the ED, manage and oversee C180s financial health, ensuring we are tracking to budget
- Work with finance consultant to complete accounting, expense coding, reimbursements, deposits, billing and reporting
- Manage tax consultant and financial audits to ensure C180 completes annual tax filings are financially compliant
- Work with program leads to manage and understand C180 grants, including drafting grant proposals, developing budgets, monitoring spend down, and submitting reports
- Support ED in fundraising, including drafting/editing proposals, tracking donations and sending acknowledgements
- Oversee vendors + contractors to ensure appropriate contracts are in place and payments are tracked and on schedule
- Ensure that C180 registers for and maintains all appropriate insurance to maintain legal compliance
Other Operational Responsibilities
- Manage C180s physical office spaces, including rent agreements and IT support
- Support planning for + execution of C180 events, such as team retreats
- Ensure that information and resources are organized and accessible in C180s Google Drive
WHO YOU ARE
Our ideal Operations Manager:
- Believes deeply in Carbon180’s mission, which drives their interest in joining our team
- Has a bachelor’s degree, with a graduate degree in a related field (MBA or equivalent) strongly preferred
- Has 3-5+ years of prior professional experience in operations, ideally in a high-performing nonprofit and/or start-up team
- Has prior experience working in human resources, and ideally in coaching and managing others (laterally and/or directly)
- Has prior experience and proficiency developing, overseeing, and/or managing an org-wide budget
Beyond these foundational qualifications, our Operations Manager spikes in key competencies below:
- You move fluidly from strategy to execution to get things done. You appreciate the big picture, but you know it's all in the details. You manage complex projects seamlessly, fiercely prioritize, and track timelines, data, and information in an organized and systematic way to ensure we cross the finish line on the things we need to do as a team.
- You’re a systems thinker and creator. You thrive in situations where you get to create order and structure out of ambiguity. You design efficiency-maximizing systems and processes, while keeping the user’s needs front + center.
- You believe that the role of Ops is “block and tackle” so the team can focus on the work. You want to get the “rocks off the road,” so that your teammates spend less time on administrative tasks, and more time thinking about how to accelerate carbon removal.
- You excel on a small, nimble team, and are happy wearing lots of hats. You remain flexible, learn from setbacks, are willing to step outside of your lane, and get energy from building the plane as you fly it.
- You’re a driver of results. You set and achieve big goals. You use data to drive decisions, and stay focused on outcomes.
- You are an excellent communicator. Whether it’s designing new systems/procedures and relaying them to the team, writing a proposal for funders, or communicating complex information to stakeholders, you know that clarity, timing, and format matter.
- You’re an organizational mastermind. You’re the “spreadsheet friend” (we all have one, if we’re lucky!), and are constantly on the lookout for new tools that teams can use to manage, organize, and execute great work.
- You're a growth-minded problem-solver. You’re energized by challenges and by all of the creative approaches you might take to solve them. You actively seek opportunities for professional development, and are hungry for feedback that will help you grow.
- You’re high impact, low-ego, and kind to yourself and others. You actively work to bring up the positivity quotient of the people around you. You choose optimism + assume the best. Our Core Values resonate with who you are and how you believe teams should operate
Advocacy & Activism, Carbon Accounting & Offsetting, Carbon Removal & Utilization Engineering