We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to lead our software safety activities. In this position, you will develop and lead implementation of Cruise’s software safety strategies for the Autonomous Driving software and development tools needed to achieve our mission of superhuman driving performance. If you're interested in improving software safety while enabling nimble software development and quick iterations, let's chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop and formulate safety strategies for Cruise’s software development
- Balance the needs of nimble software development and quick iterations with software safety requirements, tailoring the software safety approaches for different types and applications of software
- Collaborate with software engineering team and safety team to develop standards, systems engineering tools, processes and procedures to implement software safety strategies
- Adapt and adopt relevant safety standards and industry best practices to augment Cruise’s internal software safety practices
- Apply Functional Safety principles and framework as appropriate
- Lead the definition of software safety requirements, assess safety risks, oversee and perform hazard analyses, support software architecture design and analysis, and develop software safety validation strategies and hazard mitigation plans
- Participate in software design and code reviews to enhance software safety -- direct coding is not required
- Support software quality control, continuous integration, release and improvement processes
- Develop the software safety case as part of the overall safety case for Cruise’s Autonomous Driving technologies and products
- Advocate for software safety across all levels of the organization
What you must have:
- Master's or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field
- 10 years of hands-on experience in software development, software verification and validation
- At least 3 years of direct experience in System Safety engineering and software safety
- Knowledge of Functional Safety (ISO26262) and its application in software
- Expertise in safety analyses (e.g. Hazard and Risk Analysis, System-theoretic Process Analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, etc.)
- Proven track record of successes, e.g. having successfully managed software safety for safety-critical products and services
- Ability to adapt industrial standards to new applications, but not be completely bound by them
- Ability to apply simple principles to solve complex problems
- Strong interpersonal skills to influence software development without owning it
- Ability to articulate technical issues and solutions to all levels of the business, within and beyond the engineering communities
- Direct experience in software safety for autonomous vehicles or automotive systems
- Experience in mentoring and supporting junior engineers
- Experience in safety incident investigation with regulatory bodies
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.