Senior 3D Artist
We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our artists have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
What you’ll be doing:
- Model and texture highly realistic 3D vehicles, hard surface objects, vegetation, environment set pieces, and characters for our Unreal Engine based simulation.
- Assist with outsourcing and communication with external art teams. Gather references and write asset briefs, review and provide feedback for incoming assets, and integrate content into the engine.
- Construct, dress, and light 3D environments.
- Collaborate with tech artists and engineers to design efficient and scalable content creation processes, pipelines, and workflows.
What you must have:
- 7+ years experience as a 3D artist in 3D game development and have shipped at least one AAA game.
- Exceptional attention to detail with the ability to model and texture real- world objects, architecture, and vegetation accurately and to a high degree of realism, with minimal art direction.
- Proven experience working with outsourced and external content development teams.
- Expert skills in Maya with a strong understanding of PBR pipelines and authoring with the Substance suite.
- Extensive experience with Unreal Engine 4 is a must.
- Strong technical understanding of 3D asset creation methods and impacts on rendering performance.
- Highly technical self-starter with the ability to learn and adopt complex workflows and non-standard content creation processes.
- Online portfolio, with examples of vehicles, props, characters, foliage, and environments with a detailed breakdown of your contributions for each piece.
- Experience lighting 3D environments using both baked and fully dynamic lighting systems.
- Knowledge of Houdini and procedurally created content pipelines.
- Experience modeling modular vehicles and buildings.
- Rigging and animation experience.
- Photogrammetry experience
- Hands-on experience working in a Linux development environment and familiarity with Git for version control.
- Prior experience working with continuous integration systems.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.