One Concern is a Palo Alto-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to save lives and livelihoods before, during, and after disasters. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future, through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
We are looking for Data Scientist specializing in Flood modeling to join our team at One Concern. This role will work on development and improvement of machine learning models in real-time flood forecasting and computational fluid dynamics modeling for hydraulic structures.
We work in a highly collaborative, challenging and exciting environment. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable stepping in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can scale to all disasters and geographies. If you are problem solver, think out-of-the-box, love challenging yourself, and want to work for a cause, we would love to have you at One Concern.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
- Designing, developing, and implementing large scale national flood modeling pipeline
- Developing, evaluating, and implementing methodologies and solutions for live flood inundation forecast
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
- Provide support on ad-hoc analysis and reports
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree in environmental engineering, civil engineering, statistics or related quantitative fields with emphasis on hazard modeling
- At least 3+ year experience as tech lead in hands-on scalable national flood model development
- At least 3+ year experience working in the catastrophe modeling industry supporting CAT (catastrophe) products, with strong understanding and experience in catastrophe modeling and/or hazard risk modeling
- 5+ years of experience in programming preferably in Python
- 2+ year experience in quantitative analytics and/or statistics
- Ability to think out-of-the-box and strong drive to develop innovative products for our customers
Good to have
- Experience in lifeline (power/water availability – rare) modeling such as supply chain, vulnerability model
- Experience in wind modeling
- Understanding of MySQL, Postgres, relational databases etc.
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours