Location: Flexibility to commute to London office regularly
The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together - not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Leading Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are great tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
At OVO, we’re looking for a Head of Product for our Retail Shared Services area of the business. You will be responsible for developing a world class set of digital products and capabilities that power our retail energy brands, including OVO Energy, SSE, Boost and Spark. Being at the cutting edge of digital technology is a key area of competitive differentiation for OVO.
What will I be doing?
You will lead a team of product managers who are building the products and platforms which serve our core operations arms - contact centre, marketing, field services, payments and revenue, and PAYG (pay as you go).
Following OVO’s acquisition of SSE earlier this year, we’re focused on joining together OVO and SSE and creating a world-class energy retailer.
Retail Shared Services is a fast growing and evolving area of OVO that is pivotal to our success in the coming years.
Key responsibilities include:
Leading Teams & Product Methodology
- You will motivate and inspire your team to build brilliant products and services for our members and internal teams.
- You will line manage a team of Product Managers, developing and mentoring them to maximise potential and facilitate growth.
- You will define and establish shared practice, tools and methods within Product.
- You will grow the team to best meet business and Product needs and create an environment which nurtures and retains Product talent.
- You will partner closely with the broader OVO Product community to ensure alignment and best practices are established and adopted regarding career development and frameworks, Product methodologies, Product portfolio investment and prioritisation approaches.
- You will lead by example, upholding our values and contributing to the Product community.
Commercial & Business Focus
- You will ensure that the Products you are building can translate into having a clear impact on business metrics and will be responsible for implementing methodologies and frameworks including business cases and financial modeling to estimate and measure the financial impact of your Products.
- You will manage the prioritisation process and ensure delivery against business and commercial objectives.
Is this the job for me?
Product & Leadership
- You are a proven product leader with experience building and leading a team of product managers with a focus on your team’s development and engagement.
- You inspire your team and your colleagues and have a track record of recruiting, retaining and growing product managers.
- You have deep experience with developing and embedding modern product management methodologies, but you are not an ideologue--you take a pragmatic approach to getting things done.
- You have proven experience in creating common and shared practices, tools and methods for autonomous, agile teams.
- You have a deep understanding of agile methods and value co-creating product vision and leadership strategies with your design and engineering partners.
- You have experience simplifying complex customer experiences and journeys.
- You can clearly translate product strategies in ways that resonate with senior stakeholders in technical and non-technical teams.
- You are someone who excels in fast-paced and changeable environments.
Customer Centricity and Commercial Acumen
- You know how to help teams to build great products and experiences that people love and drive business value.
- You are data driven in measuring the impact of what you build and have a track record of improving your customer’s experience.
- You have experience implementing methodologies and frameworks including business cases and financial modeling to estimate and measure the financial impact of your products and have built this expertise within your teams.
- Experience digitising ‘offline’ customer experiences is a plus, as is experience in the energy sector.
You’ll love working with us if you...
- have a passion for understanding complex business and customer problems
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems that can be solved with better research methods
- are empathetic with colleagues, as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a narrative, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace agility and iteration, and celebrate learning and change
- you thrive in an agile, ever-changing, and demanding environment that requires multi-tasking.
From us you’ll get*
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- Flexible working hours
- And many more...
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work - flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds - our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
Learn more about working in the OVO family of companies on our careers page and Glassdoor. We’re also delighted to have received a Top Employers certificate in 2018, 2019 and 2020!