Project Service Engineer
Reporting to: Asset Management Operations Manager
Location: This position is a remote position and has no required location. Travel required approximately 75%+ of the time comprising visits to various facility locations across North America, Generate corporate offices in San Francisco, CA, conferences, and meetings with key vendors and stakeholders in various locations.
Position Mission: Generate Capital is hiring a Project Service Engineer to support a growing portfolio of sustainable infrastructure waste to value projects throughout all project lifecycle stages including development, commissioning, retrofitting, operations and decommissioning. Reporting to the Asset Management Operations Manager, you will be a critical member of our team and your work will be imperative to managing successful growth of the business.
ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. Our investment platform represents the only one-stop shop for pioneers of the Resource Revolution. Our infrastructure business wins by delivering the most affordable, reliable and sustainable resources to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. The “Resource Revolution” is about doing more with less of our natural resources, a fundamentally economic proposition proving that sustainability pays. We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues, not by reinventing the world, but by rebuilding it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today. As a result, customers, communities, innovators, developers, capital partners and the planet all win.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers, and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $10B pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-ServiceTM), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
ABOUT THE POSITION
You are self-motivated, detail-oriented, and enjoy problem solving, systems evaluation and efficiency, and continuous process & performance improvements. You have 5+ years’ professional experience working in an industrial processing/manufacturing industry and are familiar with process & production efficiency and maintenance requirements/panning needed to ensure continued high levels of production & performance. You are a passionate about sustainability and excited about a long-term career in renewable energy on an industrial scale.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as the Project Service Engineer
- For Operational Assets:
- Provide technical support to field operations team for MRO issues such as:
- Understand complex operating systems, evaluate, and analyze efficiency and process improvement opportunities.
- Identify discrepancies, troubleshoot, conduct investigation to determine root cause, lead development or solutions, implement change, report on corrective action implementation success and process improvement
- Participate in planning/engineering meetings to coordinate with engineers and contractor’s complex preventative or corrective maintenance activities.
- Project manage & oversee all aspects of large PM/CM activities coordinating with asset management, field staff, and subcontractors to complete and validate work.
- Draft commissioning and qualification protocols to demonstrate process is being operated as intended or designed.
- Understand and perform critical path analysis.
- Complete risk assessment analysis reports on processes and systems.
- Conduct CSA’s evaluations for facilities.
- Evaluate equipment life cycle costs analysis across portfolio, identify areas of opportunity, determine root cause, develop corrective action plan.
- Support Asset management team in execution/evaluation/development of new revenue streams/partnerships or other opportunities.
- Participate in development of business plans to support operational cost reductions.
- Review and understand Permit Reporting Requirements, develop process to ensure continued compliance from field staff for record keeping, compliance testing, documentation, reporting, etc…
- For Newly Acquired Assets:
- Provide support to transition team across multiple disciplines:
- Review of P&ID’s, development of Control Narratives.
- Integration of existing facilities data and controls with Generate Systems, support adoption and transition/site specific customization to standard software & reporting systems utilized across portfolio.
- Assist and lead development, planning, management, execution of facilities upgrade/repair/retrofit/expansion/decommissioning/idling plans.
- Develop and implement process re-start & recommissioning Plans, lead functional testing, and check out of process controls.
- Conduct FMEA’s, report on risks to production, maintenance costs, EH&S.
- Support new operations team with project startup, commissioning, repairs, troubleshooting, and operation.
- Assist in the development of and management of facility upgrades and retrofits.
- Evaluate and understand process, identify areas for improvement and create operational documentation to support continuous performance.
- Assist in development of preventative maintenance routines, daily inspections, checklists, develop QA/QC checklists for various plant processes.
- For Newly Constructed Assets:
- Provide support to construction management team during pre-construction & commissioning, and start-up.
- Review PFD’s, P&ID’s, Control Narrative’s and provide feedback from an operational perspective on areas such as redundancy, process efficiency, maintainability, use conformance, standardization.
- Review of construction drawings & plans for operational functionality, evaluating clearances and accessibility for both operational logistics and PM/CM maintenance ability and process operational efficiency.
- Evaluate & analyze commissioning data and support from functional testing through commissioning, check-out, and acceptance.
- Perform P&ID walk-downs to determine As-Built drawing accuracy, equipment documentation, labeling, organization.
- Develop punch lists for contractors near job completion to ensure all necessary operational needs/trainings/documentation/support/spares/specialty tools, etc.… have been satisfactorily provided to operating staff.
- Develop comprehensive understanding of process operations, controls, maintenance and operational requirements, document and draft system/site specific checklists, SOP’s, QA/QC requirements.
- Will support all projects, including the following tasks:
- Purchase order entry and review
- Review of invoices against purchase orders to ensure compliance
- Giving guidance to accounting team regarding allocation of costs and reclassifications
- General assistance with procurement and vendor relations
- Creation of scope and bid documents for projects.
- Collect quotes from vendors and subcontractors
- Work with project consultants, provide information, documents, data, support as needed
- Utilize CMMS software system for parts, inventory, PM/CM activities and management
- Review operational data, support projects as needed to meet defined Operational/Performance & Production KPI’s.
Candidate qualifications & core characteristics:
- Undergraduate degree in mechanical, chemical, electrical, industrial engineering or other related technical discipline.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in process engineering, field operations, industrial systems/process design, materials handling & management, manufacturing/controls engineering.
- Excellent organizational and self-management capability.
- Familiar with P&ID’s, PLC’s, SCADA Systems, Building Automation Systems.
- Proficient at understanding equipment life cycle documentation.
- Strong technical writing background, experience in development of SOP’s, checklists, QA/QC documentation.
- Troubleshooting, experience troubleshooting complex, integrated plant systems involving automated mechanical, electrical, biological, chemical systems.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processes & production controls, experience developing and planning multi-discipline maintenance and upgrade plans that minimize plant or process down time.
- Experience in the energy industry working in industrial environments with integrated plant systems.
- Basic knowledge of project accounting, familiar with utilization of accounting systems or purchase order systems
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a cross functional team
- Ability to rapidly learn new concepts with minimal formal instruction
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Intellectual agility and curiosity, superb analytical skills; problem-solving is your default mode
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk and the unknown, recognition that we are never going to be perfect and that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”
- Knowledgeable and dependable presence with experience working with management
- Experience in a growth company is preferable
- Flexibility; may be dispatched to different facility to address immediate needs elsewhere and provide support on short notice.
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.