Imperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to reduce food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality meat and dairy. We deliver them conveniently to our customers’ doorsteps and pride ourselves on offering up to a 30% discount compared to grocery store prices. Our customers can get the healthy, seasonal produce they want alongside the grocery staples they rely on, without having to compromise their budget or values. We’re proving that doing the right thing for the planet doesn’t have to cost more, and that shopping for quality ingredients can support the people and resources that it takes to grow our favorite foods.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations all over the country. Check our website
to see if there is an Imperfect near you!
We're looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Imperfect Foods, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. We provide gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer to all essential employees who must report to work. Before entering our warehouse, employees have their temperatures checked. In addition, we take great care to ensure frequently touched surfaces are sanitized throughout the day and all warehouses are fully sanitized weekly.
We have also implemented an Emergency Sick Leave policy providing full-time and part-time employees 2 additional weeks of paid time off and up to 26 weeks paid leave if they have a confirmed case of COVID-19.About the Role:
The Operations Continuous Improvement Engineer II is responsible for driving projects frombeginning stages to completion while having a significant impact on business needs. As a CIEngineer, you will be responsible for driving process improvement initiatives around thebusiness operations in the warehouse and/or distribution while maintaining high levels ofquality, safety, employee morale, cost, and production at the forefront. You will work closelywith the facilities team to implement solutions, coach and train the operations leadershipteam and associates. The CI Engineer will be the data resource of the team and will ensuresdata driven decisions are made.
As we launch new markets and experiment operationally, the CI Engineer ensures wecontinue to delight our customers and improve our unit economics by collecting,documenting, and instilling best practices across the company. The role is part processdesign, part project management, and part hands-on implementation. Regular travel toImperfect facilities in each of our markets and work with local Operations teams is required.
- Works with cross-functional teams to support the launch of new projects and line expansions team
- Maintain a thorough understanding of our Warehouse and Delivery Operations inside and out
- Recommends process, procedures, and modifications to improve production efficiencies, manufacturing techniques and production yields for existing products
- Determines appropriate skills necessary for equipment/process operability and establishing training requirements
- Develops and coaches current CI Engineers
- Analyze data, use of basic statistical tools, and use value stream mapping to gain a deeper understanding of processes and identify strategic improvement opportunities
- Employ a working knowledge of standard-work to ensure every work activity is properly defined, displayed (point-of-use) and accurately followed by every person to enable safety adherence, consistent quality and productivity being achieved.
- Use basic Lean Principles to develop process improvement initiatives
- Manage a portfolio of lean projects directed at reducing waste and improving quality to provide greater valve; implements such tools as: 5S, KPI, SMED, VSM, and Kaizen.
- Implements such tools as: SPC, Process Capability, Pareto analysis, Fishbone, SMED
- Create documentation for training materials such as checklists, standard work, and standard operating procedures
- Communicates plans and other agreements to stakeholders for alignment while listening to feedback and making modifications if appropriate
- Work alongside the Operations Management team in each market to research and drive continuous improvement projects in the warehouse and delivery network
- Be a “leader of change”. Practice “Servant Leadership”. This person must be comfortable working with all levels within the organization. They must be able to question the status quo and be a strong communicator.
- Strong analytical, planning, organizational, and time management skills.
- Must maintain satisfactory attendance, to include timeliness
Skills and Qualifications
- Two-to-Five years of hands-on experience in a manufacturing or warehouse and/or delivery operations environment
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, manufacturing engineering, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, project management or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of lean manufacturing principles and practices.
- Yellow Belt Lean Six Sigma Certified, and capable of providing examples of the use of Lean tools.
- Ability to collaborate and work cross-functionally with a variety of teams including Operations, HR, Supply, Innovation, Customer Care, and Marketing
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, with little supervision and able to work in a changing environment with changing priorities.
- Develop manufacturing processes that are applicable to best manufacturing practices and developing those techniques.
- Demonstrated experience recognizing and identifying root causes for subtle differences in processes and data sets
- Ability to Coach and to practice a very strong and disciplined Lean daily management approach at the point of value adding to enable a continual focus on process improvement to eliminate waste. This includes maintaining visual controls that track only the critical metrics, which tell you whether you are eliminating waste from your value-adding activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A self-starter attitude and an ability to attack problems with minimal direction
- Experiencing using G Suite and Microsoft Office applications, and project management software such as Asana
- Skilled in the use of MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint at an Intermediate level
- Skilled in learning new concepts quickly
- You have experience working in a fast-paced environment, ideally in a venture-backed growth-stage start-up
- You’re an extremely thorough communicator; does not lead by fiat, but rather helps peers and teams understand the “why” behind actions
- You’re passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all
- You have a great passion for process improvement and wanting to be an agent of change to reduce waste
Details of Position:
- Full-time exempt position reporting to the Director of Continuous Improvement
- Position based out of our City of Industry Distribution Center
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring credit towards your Imperfect account!
- Evening, weekend, and holiday work required occasionally
- Up to 50% travel expected to new and existing facilities
- Sedentary work; involves sitting at times
- While performing the duties of this job, the CI Engineer must have the ability to work in hot or cold conditions, stand for the duration of the shift, uses hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; ascend stairs; balance; stoop, kneel or crouch; talk and hear.
- The Engineer must occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work on noisy Environments
- Occasional movement around the office may be necessary
- Standing desks and/or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets
- Ability to walk, bend, squat, climb, reach, and kneel
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds
- Able to work in cold temperatures in a refrigerated environment
- Domestic travel to new and existing local facilities required as needed
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Foods are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
U.S. E-Verify Notice: Imperfect Foods participates in E-Verify in the United States. Imperfect will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.