We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
What you’ll be doing:
- Manage and grow a team of TPMs within the Simulation department
- Ensure a high-functioning, high-output TPM team that drives technical execution of cross-functional Simulation initiatives
- Fostering and driving a healthy, inclusive, and collaborative culture, serving as an embodiment of our values
- Coach and support Individual Contributor reports, and resolve conflicts both within your team, and between teams
- Define and measure the output goals and KPIs your team will use to measure success
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth
- Invest heavily in recruiting, identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Partner with Technical Product Managers to turn requirements and technical specs into achievable implementation roadmaps, including planning timelines and milestones and identifying cross-team dependencies
- Drive the formulation and review of department roadmaps and objectives on a quarterly and monthly cadence
- Drive agile planning frameworks that optimize work that should be agile vs planned
- Work with Technical Leads on design decisions, and contribute to the department design reviews to ensure we continue to raise our technical standards
- Work with Engineering Managers to ensure teams take on a balanced assignment of strategic initiatives, iterative improvements, and proactive engineering excellence investments. Support calculation of team capacity vs estimated workload, and ensure the team can deliver on their commitments
- Lead the technical specification portion of product documentation, and coordinate Design Review process
- Drive cross-team initiatives, quarterly planning, execution oversight, and retrospectives
- Run relevant meetings (planning, design, etc.) alongside Engineering Managers and Technical Leads
- Work closely with our partner teams in AI, Robotics, Product, and Infrastructure to deliver key simulation functionality for testing and development of Autonomous Vehicles
- Coordinate with Product Managers and Engineering Managers to ensure acceptance criteria have been met, and that projects/milestones are completed and delivered on schedule
- Lead and improve cross-functional execution processes, ensuring effective communication and execution at all levels
- Promote effective communication within the TPM group to efficiently filter and summarize status reporting across the Simulation department to escalate and resolve issues, and celebrate wins
- Maintain intimate knowledge of systems, and identify unnecessary complexity or unmet dependencies
- Track and report on project progress to all stakeholders, proactively drive corrective actions as needed
- Build trusted relationships with team members and all relevant stakeholders
What you must have:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in CS, Math, EE, or related engineering/science field, MBA is a strong plus
- 8+ years of technical industry experience managing complex technical projects in a fast-paced tech company and/or highly regulated industry
- 2+ years in a people manager role
- Demonstrated experience recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management
- Self-motivated to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Experience managing complex fast-paced safety critical initiatives spanning multiple teams and organizations, often with conflicting priorities and schedules
- Effective at building consensus across different function (HW, System, Test, SW)
- Proven ability to influence without authority, driving members across the teams to maximize performance, and to provide clear data & analysis to decision-makers
- Strong technical and nontechnical communication skills, written and verbal
- Ability to understand complex technical systems
- Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Experience with robotics or autonomous vehicles
- Experience with large real-time and/or high-availability systems
- Experience developing complex simulated testing environments
- Significant Agile experience
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.