Who are we?
Since our founding in 2015, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York City. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
We’ve launched innovative companies addressing urban mobility, next-generation infrastructure, and community-based healthcare, and invested in startups working on everything from robotic furniture to digital electricity. We continue to work internally on factory-made mass timber construction that can improve housing affordability and sustainability, a digital master-planning tool designed to help developers and communities achieve shared objectives, and a new approach to all-electric neighborhoods.
We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
We are hiring a freelance designer to join the team (as a remote, hourly consultant) in creating an affordable energy-saving offering. We are seeking someone with experience in UI/UX design and marketing design for digital and print who can work for at least 24 hours a week embedded with our team through the end of the year. You will work directly with the Design and Product Leads on the team as well as our Director of Design. We are a small, fun team with lots of collaboration and love setting up our teammates for success. We seek people with an initiative-taking spirit, challenge-seeking creative zest, and passion for making cities more sustainable and affordable.
Our lead designer is looking for a partner to develop everything from UI/UX for energy-savings software, to physical signs, brochures, even packaging materials, and other creative tools to communicate ways to save energy and share more about our product.
We are open to a remote contractor for the position, but you must be able to work EST hours.
Your scope of work includes:
- Produce high quality UI/UX flows and dev-ready specs while keeping user needs at the core of every decision
- Understand technical tradeoffs and work hand in hand with our Engineers and Design Lead to make decisions
- Create excellent brochures, one-pagers, and marketing materials
- Design artifacts that help onboard new customers such as installation guides and ‘getting started’ materials
- Help document pilot installations and other customer experiences for the purposes of case studies, sales, and content marketing
- Display creativity within a design system and build on our brand guidelines
What we expect:
- Obsessed with user needs
- You have 3+ years of experience in product organizations, in a UX, Product Design, or Interaction Design role. You have worked on an agile team rooted in the user-centered design process.
- You have a degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Design, or other UX-equivalent experience.
- You are an excellent communicator who can advocate for our users both within the product and engineering teams and across the organization.
- Your design process is deeply rooted in observing user and customer needs and creatively solving problems to improve people’s lives.
- Ability to execute with design excellence
- Have a strong base in design process and execution, including a specialty in visual product design and interaction design. Please share your portfolio with us.
- You have delivered designs for enterprise and business-to-business (B2B) software applications, and/or consumer IoT solutions which consider hardware, software, and data.
- You can judge and execute at the appropriate level of fidelity, from paper sketches to refined mocks for production.
- Know your tools (Figma/Sketch, HTML/CSS, animations skills a plus) and be ready to adopt new ones.
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into product design.
- Bias towards action
- Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to gain traction and begin executing.
- Be creative: use a diverse set of tools (storyboards, wireframes, visuals, other media etc.) to communicate your ideas effectively.
- Understand the hours it will take to complete a project, share early and often, and deliver the final work on time.
- Solve problems, together
- You have experience and comfort presenting your ideas and setting up effective ways to critique and improve our work.
- You embrace the intellectual challenge of constantly reacting to and synthesizing new ideas related to the future of urban experience and technology.
- You come up with novel solutions, working well with users, urbanists and technologists.
- You ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems.
- Passionate about cities
- You have thought about the urban environment and care deeply about improving the lives of urban residents and workers.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. All employment is based on merit and business need.