At Volta we’re on a mission to accelerate the adoption of the electric vehicle. Volta creates city-wide free electric vehicle charging networks in major metropolitan areas. Our charging networks are free-to-use, free to our property partners, and monetized through brand sponsorships and digital media content.
Our company is small, but focused and ambitious. By joining our team on the stations team, you will be creating the IOT platform that runs inside of our unique hardware. You will have the opportunity for the development and integration of our embedded system, ad platform, CV/ML, car charging and hardware interfaces. You will work closely with the hardware team to enable new features and products and support the decades long product lifetime. You will perform engineering IC tasks including requirements, scoping, architecting, coding, debugging and even some PM’ing.
As a senior member of the team, you will tackle large projects that drive impactful business results with minimal oversight. A voracious appetite for creativity, adaptability and nimble learning are key competencies for success in this role.
This position will be based in San Francisco and will report to the VP of Engineering.
- Create and design new IoT device solutions for the control and monitoring of various charging capabilities, data collection and the dual media screens on our stations
- Debug, diagnose failures of existing platform features and recommend product solutions
- Mentor and educate team members on embedded system best practices by reviewing code with empathy that guides to the overall desired results
- Proactively propose new features and architectures to improve product stability that are capable of scale
- 10+ years relevant working experience
- 5+ years software development targeting Linux (i.e. Ubuntu, Yocto, etc…)
- Experience with end-to-end IoT architecture and solutions that drive results towards overall team and company goals
- Experience in the electric vehicle or energy space
- Docker and containerization
- Embedded firmware (i.e. FreeRTOS)
- RF protocols (i.e. BLE, Wifi, RFID, NFC)
- Embedded cameras
- Experience with microservices
- Hardware debugging (i.e. scopes, multimeters, protocol analyzers)