Senior Manager, Credit & Accounts Receivable
Indigo improves grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health by natural microbiology and digital technologies. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes and agronomic insights, Indigo works with growers to sustainably produce high quality harvests. The company then connects growers and buyers directly to bring these harvests to market. Working across the supply chain, Indigo is forwarding its mission of harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. http://www.indigoag.com/
The role of the Sr. Manager, Credit & Accounts Receivable is to drive and support the timely and accurate delivery of billing, collection, dispute and process management service to the internal and external customers of the business. This position ensures that receivable goals are aligned with the corporate business strategy and are continually reviewed for improvement. Key importance to this role is to protect the company’s interest by ensuring accounts are properly reviewed for payment risk and customer disputes are properly handled or escalated.
The Sr Manager will be responsible to develop relationships with Sales, Operations, Finance and Customer Service to understand their support requirements and to determine how the areas need to interact to ensure few, if any, problems are met by the customer.
- Lead a successful team
- Develop individual and team cash goals for the Collectors and Supervisors to meet monthly.
- Mentor and develop the customer receivable and cash application teams to meet and exceed department KPIs and goals through weekly and monthly updates of their performance.
- Lead team to develop root cause analysis of adjustments and write offs to understand how these actions could have been preventable.
- Develop daily process and procedures to ensure daily billing and cash applications occurs within 36 hours of delivery or 36 hours of receipt of cash.
- Develop KPI’s to appropriately track metrics to ensure that the team is held accountable for enabling 100% on-time and accurate billing and accurate cash application management.
- Implement the following receivable practices
- Review and approve all adjustments, write-offs, and check requests
- Monitor all collection activities to push for payment per contract terms and to look for possibilities to increase cash flow.
- Review the department’s aging to determine accounts needing additional focus or possible suspension of billing privileges due to poor payment performance or increased aging.
- Participate in the discussions, testing, and implementation of new system integrations and system transitions
- Discuss special billing projects with appropriate parties and management to determine feasibility and proper documentation.
- Work cross functionally while implementing receivables process.
- Review accounts for proper credit limits, deposits, bankruptcy/payment risk, change in payment terms or ownership, or suspension of rental privileges
- Discuss system problems and possible enhancements with Management and Information Technology Partners.
- Implement the following billing/payment practices
- Ensure that invoicing is taking place directly from Oracle as well as collections and lock box integration
- Ensure the organization’s invoices are billed properly and in a timely manner with little manual intervention.
- Initiate and develop key strategic partnerships with leading business experts from the credit card payment industry to drive best in class card payment solutions & to implement / provide dynamic payment solutions to our business & customers.
- Ensure a comprehensive root cause analysis review is carried out regularly with each card processor(s) on chargeback rates & work with them to implement robust solutions / initiatives to reduce the company’s exposure to bad debt (chargebacks)
- Review Interchange rates monthly to identify downgraded transaction categories & work with our card processors & internal departments to implement process improvements that will lead to reductions in our processing costs.
- Implement receivables practices
- Provide key input to the development of a formal write off policy to ensure that all collection efforts have been exhausted before a receivable has been written off to bad debt.
- Review the bad debt allowance monthly to ensure that possible write-offs/liabilities are recognized in the accrual and to inform higher management of problems with the customer receivable and actions taken to avoid bad debt.
- Foster an environment of high customer service by encouraging a more proactive customer contact approach through increased phone calls and e-mail to discuss status of account and billing process.
- Discuss receivable trends and analysis with Accounting and Management.
- Customer Service
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal/written communication
- Multi-task in a high-volume work environment
- Conflict management
- Highly motivated and directed
- High energy and tolerance for stress
- Positive outlook
- Ability to lead and proactively respond to a dynamic business environment
- Demonstrated communication skills in cross-functional environment with proven ability to influence and negotiate
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to navigate in an ambiguous environment
- Proven experience managing, attracting, and retaining top talent
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 7-10 year’s operational experience in Credit Management, Collections, Invoicing and Cash Applications
- Experience managing key business relationships and a strong background in implementing strategic projects
- Extensive knowledge of the following:
- Credit Card payment industry
- Cash flow projections
- Back processes including lockbox and reconciliation
- Advanced business operations
- Proven leader in collections, cash applications and outbound invoicing
- Track record of process improvement and delivery projects
- ERP experience (Oracle, SAP)