Congruent Ventures is a leading early stage venture firm focused on investing against global macro trends in sustainability and climate tech across four themes: Mobility and Urbanization, the Energy Transition, Food and Agriculture, and Sustainable Production and Consumption. After nearly four years, Congruent has become one of the most active investors in the sector with 33 portfolio companies typically making its initial investments in Pre-seed, Seed and Series A-stage companies. The founders have over 35 years of sustainability investing and operating experience and the firm is based in San Francisco and invests across North America.
We are seeking an intellectually curious, versatile, and driven self-starter who is passionate about using innovation and capital to address climate change and sustainability challenges. This position represents Congruent’s first Associate hire and is expected to be a 2-3 year role. This role should provide invaluable insight and experience in early stage venture capital and in climate tech.
The Analyst/Associate will be part of a small investment team participating in Monday partner meetings, sourcing investments, researching areas of investment, and conducting due diligence on potential investments. In addition to the investment-focused work, the role will play a role in the success of the broader firm across areas like platform, marketing, and operations.
The Congruent team is small, nimble, and collaborative. We do not tolerate jerks, nor do we tolerate interpersonal politicking; we value diversity of opinion, background, and experience. We value respectful but knowledge-based discussions and believe the best investment decisions are made when opinions differ but the facts have been thoughtfully discussed by the investment team and considered without deferring exclusively to position. Everyone has a voice and should not be reticent to use it.
Qualifications and Skills:
• 2-5 years of work experience, ideally including two years of experience in product roles or similar operating roles, venture capital, private equity, or consulting with operating and venture roles preferred.
• Passion and intellectual curiosity for climate change, sustainability, and venture capital. Enthusiasm for supporting founders, teams, and internal collaboration with a high confidence, but low ego personality.
• Strong research, analytical, and due diligence skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree, with the intellectual curiosity and/or academic history to evaluate technical innovation spanning machine vision to mechanical engineering to agriculture to supply chain logistics.
• Outstanding work ethic. Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects.
• Based in the Bay Area or willing to relocate (post-COVID)
Congruent Ventures is looking to bring on an Associate to support all aspects of Congruent’s investment work. On average, Congruent invests in eight new companies per year, and will be expanding the team in the coming months as we build our SF-based team. As a member of the investment deal team, you will have the opportunity to work with our Managing Partners and full deal team gaining valuable experience across all facets of the investment process. Job responsibilities include:
• Source new investments, develop new relationships, and participate in networking events
• Assist with deal due diligence by conducting market research, competitive analyses, reference calls, and any relevant financial modeling or cap table analyses
• Assist with investment memos
• Identify and explore investment themes and target investment areas
• Support the team with portfolio company development and tracking performance and KPIs
• Assist Director of Operations with various projects, including pipeline organization and events
• Enhance efforts to build community development amongst founders and their teams and the broader climate tech venture ecosystem
Location: San Francisco, CA with expected remote work until after COVID-19 social distancing is no longer required. Relocation to the Bay Area is necessary after such time.
How to Apply: Please submit your application here or email email@example.com with any technical difficulties.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, and other classifications protected under federal, state, or local law.
Background check required prior to employment.