Software Development Managers at EnergyHub are managers with direct reports who produce and maintain a significant portfolio within the software development organization.
They do this through a set of responsibilities focused on people management, strategic alignment and software development practices.
Deliver our products as the owner of a significant portfolio in the EnergyHub development organization
- Deliver major new products and significantly improve existing products
- Maintain existing product lines, including incremental feature improvement, consistent bug fixing and effective emergency response
- Support the execution and delivery work of your partner groups within the Development organization
- Work hand in hand with our Product, Sales, Business Development, Client Success, Customer Support and Operations organizations to deliver new products and improve existing products
- Consistently meet deadlines, manage risks, and proactively communicate across the organization
- Contribute to technical work through design, review, pairing and debugging activities. Software Development Managers do not do hands-on coding; they do not deliver features as individual contributors.
Grow our people as the manager of a department
- Lead 3-4 teams, each consisting of a tech lead plus 1-3 software developers, data engineers or system operations experts.
- Manage and mentor developers, tech leads, data engineers and systems experts within your organization and grow each individual in their career.
- Own the goal setting and tracking experience for members of your department.
- Mentor and support the work of high potential individuals in other parts of the organization.
- Recruit, hire and retain excellent technical staff.
- Help build the EnergyHub alumni network.
Plan and estimate at the tactical and strategic levels
- Lead the planning and estimating activities within your department, from quarterly estimating and sequencing to multi year product roadmap management
- Negotiate effectively and transparently with other parts of the Software Development organization and with other organizations at EnergyHub (Product, Sales, Business Development, Client Success, Customer Support and Operations)
Maintain and improve consistent engineering practices
- Maintain and improve our software engineering practices, including code review, CI/CD, technical design, manual and automated test, emergency preparedness, security practices and ongoing internal training.
- Propose and iterate on new processes to improve our organizational strengths in building stable, reliable, secure software which meets our users needs.
- 8+ years professional experience developing software, whether as individual contributor, tech lead, team lead or manager.
- 2+ years managing the work of others in developing and deploying software
- Experience in a significant team lead role is required
- Experience managing multiple teams is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within an existing code base
- Demonstrated effectiveness in growing the careers of others
- Demonstrated ability to recover from significant failure as a technical leader
- Demonstrated experience managing diverse software development teams
Nice to have, but not required:
- Experience leading effectively within a 50-75 person company
- Demonstrated tactical experience producing quality software in an early to mid stage organization
Why work for EnergyHub?
- Make an immediate impact: New employees can expect to be given real responsibility for bringing new technologies and solutions to the marketplace. You are empowered to perform as soon as you join the EnergyHub team.
- Work with the latest technologies: You’ll gain exposure to a broad spectrum of IoT, SaaS, and smart energy technologies.
- Collaborate with outstanding people: We enjoy working alongside others who are smart, collaborative, and focused on solving problems that have never been tackled before. We’re also nice people.
- Be part of something important: Help create the future of how energy is produced and consumed. Make a positive impact on our climate.
- Gain well-rounded experience: Develop expertise across multiple areas of the business, working directly with executives and other teams.
EnergyHub is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In connection with your application, we collect information that identifies, reasonably relates to or describes you (“Personal Information”). The categories of Personal Information that we may collect include your name, government-issued identification number(s), email address, mailing address, other contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, and demographic information. We collect and use those categories of Personal Information about you for human resources and other business management purposes, including identifying and evaluating you as a candidate for potential or future employment or future positions, recordkeeping in relation to recruiting and hiring, conducting analytics, and ensuring compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies.