Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmetneeds in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
- Joyn Bio is looking for a Senior Microbiologist who will contribute to the screening and development of R&D processes aimed at characterizing and improving microorganisms that can efficiently colonize relevant plants for agricultural purposes.
- Ideate, design and execute experiments to characterize growth, cell/colony morphology, physiology and antibiotic resistance of various microbial organisms with support of the Joyn Bio Curation team.
- Develop assays to understand physiology and screen Joyn’s microbial strains in a high-throughput manner. Collaborate with computational biology, fermentation and analytical teams to develop and validate metabolic models of our organisms.
- Collaborate with the Microbial Engineering, Plant Microbe Interaction and Digital Sciences and Technology teams to develop genetic tractability pipelines for domestication of these microorganisms.
- Innovate and develop ways to increase efficiency of microorganism engineering through staying abreast of new technologies and bringing these technologies in-house to enhance Joyn Bio engineering platform and capabilities.
- PhD with 5+ years (or MS with 8+ years) of industrial experience in microbiology, microbial physiology, molecular biology and/or related fields.
- Broad experience with culturing and domesticating agriculturally relevant and/or plant associated microorganisms is a plus.
- Extensive experience in microbial physiology, particularly non model organisms, deep knowledge of biochemistry and metabolism, and significant proficiency in bacterial genetics and screening.
- Proven track record and passion for developing and building HTP microbial screening platform.
- Must be a detail oriented, highly organized and collaborative self-starter individual with excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Supervisory and project management experience highly desired.
LocationThis position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site, and will require minimal travel.
- Will report into the Chassis Pipeline and Onboarding Program Director.
- Will work in close collaboration with Joyn Bio employees, and in concert with strain acquisition and characterization personnel, program directors and digital science team.