Cloud to Street is the leading flood mapping platform designed to protect the world’s most climate-vulnerable communities. By harnessing global satellites, advanced science, and community intelligence, we monitor worldwide floods in near real-time and remotely analyze local flood exposure at a click of a button. Our mission is to ensure that all vulnerable governments finally access the high quality information they need to prepare for and respond to increasing catastrophes. Founded by two women at Yale and seeded by Google, Cloud to Street is being or has been used by governments and NGOs across 15 countries. We are on track to enable new flood protection and insurance for 10 million people in the next 5 years.
We are looking for a full stack developer to build tools that enable scientific analysis and support decision makers around the world. You should apply if you are eager to use engineering to reduce the impact of catastrophic flooding and build an innovative and sustainable organization. In this role, you will develop cloud infrastructure to help process satellite data and deploy machine learning algorithms in near real-time. You will also build web and mobile tools to support decision makers with up-to-date information during disasters. You will work with a team of scientists and engineers with expertise in remote sensing (optical, radar, and passive microwave), hydrology, climate, social vulnerability, UX, and machine learning to i) optimize and improve Cloud to Street’s current flood mapping system and ii) build the next generation of tools to ensure financial protection from floods in marginalized communities.
- Design and implement scalable database infrastructures for geospatial analysis
- Build innovative features into our flood monitoring dashboards for disaster management
- Contribute to the design and development of an insurance platform to enable access to disaster insurance for users around the world
- Collaborate with a team of exceptional scientists and engineers that want you to grow and be successful
- Help build a growing engineering and technology team
- You tell us! Each member has skills not in their job description that are important for our growth. We would love to hear your unique talents and learn how we can help each other grow.
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in computer science or a related field or equivalent experience
- At least 2 years of experience in full stack development
- Experience building scalable cloud-based data platforms
- Excited to have an influential role in a quickly growing team
- Self-starter with ability to work within a fast-paced and rapidly evolving startup
- Eagerness to learn new skills and help with the task at hand
- The ability to solve challenging problems without explicit direction
- Prioritizes justice, diversity, science, and solidarity with vulnerable communities
- Working with geospatial data
- Implementing ML algorithms in production environments
- Google Cloud Platform
- Working with a geographically distributed team
As a Cloud to Street team member, you:
- Lead development of cutting-edge technology at a start-up company focused on social impact and represent our organization at scientific and development meetings
- Serve the underserved by reducing the scientific barriers for low and middle income countries to access the information governments, businesses, and communities need to sustainably develop and thrive
- Are in solidarity with vulnerable communities by spending time with flood affected populations and organizations who serve them
- Increase equity by making information accessible to historically marginalized communities and building a diverse and inclusive start-up
Applicants are requested to send their submissions to email@example.com with:
- Subject line: Full Stack Developer, Cloud to Street
- Attached CV/resume
- Paragraph expressing interest
- Relevant projects
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with the goal of hiring the right candidate as soon as possible.
Cloud to Street is devoted to building an inclusive and diverse company. Black, Indigenous, and people of color; women, queer people, and all gender identities, and individuals with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.